This is a translation to the Quran by Abdullah Yusufali.
Each chapter is called Surah in Arabic
To read a specific chapter, please click on its name or number:
1. Ha Mim:
2. A Revelation from ((Allah)), Most Gracious, Most Merciful;-
3. A Book, whereof the verses are explained in detail;- a Qur'an in Arabic, for people who understand;-
4. Giving good news and admonition: yet most of them turn away, and so they hear not.
5. They say: "Our hearts are under veils, (concealed) from that to which thou dost invite us, and in our ears in a deafness, and between us and thee is a screen: so do thou (what thou wilt); for us, we shall do (what we will!)"
6. Say thou: "I am but a man like you: It is revealed to me by Inspiration, that your Allah is one Allah. so stand true to Him, and ask for His Forgiveness." And woe to those who join gods with Allah,-
7. Those who practise not regular Charity, and who even deny the Hereafter.
8. For those who believe and work deeds of righteousness is a reward that will never fail.
9. Say: Is it that ye deny Him Who created the earth in two Days? And do ye join equals with Him? He is the Lord of (all) the Worlds.
10. He set on the (earth), mountains standing firm, high above it, and bestowed blessings on the earth, and measure therein all things to give them nourishment in due proportion, in four Days, in accordance with (the needs of) those who seek (Sustenance).
11. Moreover He comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been (as) smoke: He said to it and to the earth: "Come ye together, willingly or unwillingly." They said: "We do come (together), in willing obedience."
12. So He completed them as seven firmaments in two Days, and He assigned to each heaven its duty and command. And We adorned the lower heaven with lights, and (provided it) with guard. Such is the Decree of (Him) the Exalted in Might, Full of Knowledge.
13. But if they turn away, say thou: "I have warned you of a stunning Punishment (as of thunder and lightning) like that which (overtook) the 'Ad and the Thamud!"
14. Behold, the apostles came to them, from before them and behind them, (preaching): "Serve none but Allah." They said, "If our Lord had so pleased, He would certainly have sent down angels (to preach). Now we reject your mission (altogether)."
15. Now the 'Ad behaved arrogantly through the land, against (all) truth and reason, and said: "Who is superior to us in strength?" What! did they not see that Allah, Who created them, was superior to them in strength? But they continued to reject Our Signs!
16. So We sent against them a furious Wind through days of disaster, that We might give them a taste of a Penalty of humiliation in this life; but the Penalty of a Hereafter will be more humiliating still: and they will find no help.
17. As to the Thamud, We gave them Guidance, but they preferred blindness (of heart) to Guidance: so the stunning Punishment of humiliation seized them, because of what they had earned.
18. But We delivered those who believed and practised righteousness.
19. On the Day that the enemies of Allah will be gathered together to the Fire, they will be marched in ranks.
20. At length, when they reach the (Fire), their hearing, their sight, and their skins will bear witness against them, as to (all) their deeds.
21. They will say to their skins: "Why bear ye witness against us?" They will say: "(Allah) hath given us speech,- (He) Who giveth speech to everything: He created you for the first time, and unto Him were ye to return.
22. "Ye did not seek to hide yourselves, lest your hearing, your sight, and your skins should bear witness against you! But ye did think that Allah knew not many of the things that ye used to do!
23. "But this thought of yours which ye did entertain concerning your Lord, hath brought you to destruction, and (now) have ye become of those utterly lost!"
24. If, then, they have patience, the Fire will be a home for them! and if they beg to be received into favour, into favour will they not (then) be received.
25. And We have destined for them intimate companions (of like nature), who made alluring to them what was before them and behind them; and the sentence among the previous generations of Jinns and men, who have passed away, is proved against them; for they are utterly lost.
26. The Unbelievers say: "Listen not to this Qur'an, but talk at random in the midst of its (reading), that ye may gain the upper hand!"
27. But We will certainly give the Unbelievers a taste of a severe Penalty, and We will requite them for the worst of their deeds.
28. Such is the requital of the enemies of Allah,- the Fire: therein will be for them the Eternal Home: a (fit) requital, for that they were wont to reject Our Sings.
29. And the Unbelievers will say: "Our Lord! Show us those, among Jinns and men, who misled us: We shall crush them beneath our feet, so that they become the vilest (before all)."
30. In the case of those who say, "Our Lord is Allah., and, further, stand straight and steadfast, the angels descend on them (from time to time): "Fear ye not!" (they suggest), "Nor grieve! but receive the Glad Tidings of the Garden (of Bliss), the which ye were promised!
31. "We are your protectors in this life and in the Hereafter: therein shall ye have all that your souls shall desire; therein shall ye have all that ye ask for!-
32. "A hospitable gift from one Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful!"
33. Who is better in speech than one who calls (men) to Allah, works righteousness, and says, "I am of those who bow in Islam"?
34. Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!
35. And no one will be granted such goodness except those who exercise patience and self-restraint,- none but persons of the greatest good fortune.
36. And if (at any time) an incitement to discord is made to thee by the Evil One, seek refuge in Allah. He is the One Who hears and knows all things.
37. Among His Sings are the Night and the Day, and the Sun and the Moon. Adore not the sun and the moon, but adore Allah, Who created them, if it is Him ye wish to serve.
38. But is the (Unbelievers) are arrogant, (no matter): for in the presence of thy Lord are those who celebrate His praises by night and by day. And they never flag (nor feel themselves above it).
39. And among His Signs in this: thou seest the earth barren and desolate; but when We send down rain to it, it is stirred to life and yields increase. Truly, He Who gives life to the (dead) earth can surely give life to (men) who are dead. For He has power over all things.
40. Those who pervert the Truth in Our Signs are not hidden from Us. Which is better?- he that is cast into the Fire, or he that comes safe through, on the Day of Judgment? Do what ye will: verily He seeth (clearly) all that ye do.
41. Those who reject the Message when it comes to them (are not hidden from Us). And indeed it is a Book of exalted power.
42. No falsehood can approach it from before or behind it: It is sent down by One Full of Wisdom, Worthy of all Praise.
43. Nothing is said to thee that was not said to the apostles before thee: that thy lord has at his Command (all) forgiveness as well as a most Grievous Penalty.
44. Had We sent this as a Qur'an (in the language) other than Arabic, they would have said: "Why are not its verses explained in detail? What! (a Book) not in Arabic and (a Messenger an Arab?" Say: "It is a Guide and a Healing to those who believe; and for those who believe not, there is a deafness in their ears, and it is blindness in their (eyes): They are (as it were) being called from a place far distant!"
45. We certainly gave Moses the Book aforetime: but disputes arose therein. Had it not been for a Word that went forth before from thy Lord, (their differences) would have been settled between them: but they remained in suspicious disquieting doubt thereon.
46. Whoever works righteousness benefits his own soul; whoever works evil, it is against his own soul: nor is thy Lord ever unjust (in the least) to His Servants.
47. To Him is referred the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment: He knows all): No date-fruit comes out of its sheath, nor does a female conceive (within her womb) nor bring forth the Day that ((Allah)) will propound to them the (question), "Where are the partners (ye attributed to Me?" They will say, "We do assure thee not one of us can bear witness!"
48. The (deities) they used to invoke aforetime will leave them in the lurch, and they will perceive that they have no way of escape.
49. Man does not weary of asking for good (things), but if ill touches him, he gives up all hope (and) is lost in despair.
50. When we give him a taste of some Mercy from Ourselves, after some adversity has touched him, he is sure to say, "This is due to my (merit): I think not that the Hour (of Judgment) will (ever) be established; but if I am brought back to my Lord, I have (much) good (stored) in His sight!" But We will show the Unbelievers the truth of all that they did, and We shall give them the taste of a severe Penalty.
51. When We bestow favours on man, he turns away, and gets himself remote on his side (instead of coming to Us); and when evil seizes him, (he comes) full of prolonged prayer!
52. Say: "See ye if the (Revelation) is (really) from Allah, and yet do ye reject it? Who is more astray than one who is in a schism far (from any purpose)?"
53. Soon will We show them our Signs in the (furthest) regions (of the earth), and in their own souls, until it becomes manifest to them that this is the Truth. Is it not enough that thy Lord doth witness all things?
54. Ah indeed! Are they in doubt concerning the Meeting with their Lord? Ah indeed! It is He that doth encompass all things!
2. 'Ain. Sin. Qaf.
3. Thus doth (He) send inspiration to thee as (He did) to those before thee,- Allah, Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
4. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth: and He is Most High, Most Great.
5. The heavens are almost rent asunder from above them (by Him Glory): and the angels celebrate the Praises of their Lord, and pray for forgiveness for (all) beings on earth: Behold! Verily Allah is He, the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
6. And those who take as protectors others besides Him,- Allah doth watch over them; and thou art not the disposer of their affairs.
7. Thus have We sent by inspiration to thee an Arabic Qur'an: that thou mayest warn the Mother of Cities and all around her,- and warn (them) of the Day of Assembly, of which there is no doubt: (when) some will be in the Garden, and some in the Blazing Fire.
8. If Allah had so willed, He could have made them a single people; but He admits whom He will to His Mercy; and the Wrong-doers will have no protector nor helper.
9. What! Have they taken (for worship) protectors besides Him? But it is Allah,- He is the Protector, and it is He Who gives life to the dead: It is He Who has power over all things,
10. Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah. such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.
11. (He is) the Creator of the heavens and the earth: He has made for you pairs from among yourselves, and pairs among cattle: by this means does He multiply you: there is nothing whatever like unto Him, and He is the One that hears and sees (all things).
12. To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth: He enlarges and restricts. The Sustenance to whom He will: for He knows full well all things.
13. The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Noah - the which We have sent by inspiration to thee - and that which We enjoined on Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: Namely, that ye should remain steadfast in religion, and make no divisions therein: to those who worship other things than Allah, hard is the (way) to which thou callest them. Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him).
14. And they became divided only after Knowledge reached them,- through selfish envy as between themselves. Had it not been for a Word that went forth before from thy Lord, (tending) to a Term appointed, the matter would have been settled between them: But truly those who have inherited the Book after them are in suspicious (disquieting) doubt concerning it.
15. Now then, for that (reason), call (them to the Faith), and stand steadfast as thou art commanded, nor follow thou their vain desires; but say: "I believe in the Book which Allah has sent down; and I am commanded to judge justly between you. Allah is our Lord and your Lord: for us (is the responsibility for) our deeds, and for you for your deeds. There is no contention between us and you. Allah will bring us together, and to Him is (our) Final Goal.
16. But those who dispute concerning Allah after He has been accepted,- futile is their dispute in the Sight of their Lord: on them will be a Penalty terrible.
17. It is Allah Who has sent down the Book in Truth, and the Balance (by which to weigh conduct). And what will make thee realise that perhaps the Hour is close at hand?
18. Only those wish to hasten it who believe not in it: those who believe hold it in awe, and know that it is the Truth. Behold, verily those that dispute concerning the Hour are far astray.
19. Gracious is Allah to His servants: He gives Sustenance to whom He pleases: and He has power and can carry out His Will.
20. To any that desires the tilth of the Hereafter, We give increase in his tilth, and to any that desires the tilth of this world, We grant somewhat thereof, but he has no share or lot in the Hereafter.
21. What! have they partners (in godhead), who have established for them some religion without the permission of Allah. Had it not been for the Decree of Judgment, the matter would have been decided between them (at once). But verily the Wrong- doers will have a grievous Penalty.
22. Thou wilt see the Wrong-doers in fear on account of what they have earned, and (the burden of) that must (necessarily) fall on them. But those who believe and work righteous deeds will be in the luxuriant meads of the Gardens: they shall have, before their Lord, all that they wish for. That will indeed be the magnificent Bounty (of Allah..
23. That is (the Bounty) whereof Allah gives Glad Tidings to His Servants who believe and do righteous deeds. Say: "No reward do I ask of you for this except the love of those near of kin." And if any one earns any good, We shall give him an increase of good in respect thereof: for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate (service).
24. What! Do they say, "He has forged a falsehood against Allah.? But if Allah willed, He could seal up thy heart. And Allah blots out Vanity, and proves the Truth by His Words. For He knows well the secrets of all hearts.
25. He is the One that accepts repentance from His Servants and forgives sins: and He knows all that ye do.
26. And He listens to those who believe and do deeds of righteousness, and gives them increase of His Bounty: but for the Unbelievers their is a terrible Penalty.
27. If Allah were to enlarge the provision for His Servants, they would indeed transgress beyond all bounds through the earth; but he sends (it) down in due measure as He pleases. For He is with His Servants Well-acquainted, Watchful.
28. He is the One that sends down rain (even) after (men) have given up all hope, and scatters His Mercy (far and wide). And He is the Protector, Worthy of all Praise.
29. And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to gather them together when He wills.
30. Whatever misfortune happens to you, is because on the things your hands have wrought, and for many (of them) He grants forgiveness.
31. Nor can ye frustrate (aught), (fleeing) through the earth; nor have ye, besides Allah, any one to protect or to help.
32. And among His Signs are the ships, smooth-running through the ocean, (tall) as mountains.
33. If it be His Will He can still the Wind: then would they become motionless on the back of the (ocean). Verily in this are Signs for everyone who patiently perseveres and is grateful.
34. Or He can cause them to perish because of the (evil) which (the men) have earned; but much doth He forgive.
35. But let those know, who dispute about Our Signs, that there is for them no way of escape.
36. Whatever ye are given (here) is (but) a convenience of this life: but that which is with Allah is better and more lasting: (it is) for those who believe and put their trust in their Lord:
37. Those who avoid the greater crimes and shameful deeds, and, when they are angry even then forgive;
38. Those who hearken to their Lord, and establish regular Prayer; who (conduct) their affairs by mutual Consultation; who spend out of what We bestow on them for Sustenance;
39. And those who, when an oppressive wrong is inflicted on them, (are not cowed but) help and defend themselves.
40. The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah. for ((Allah)) loveth not those who do wrong.
41. But indeed if any do help and defend themselves after a wrong (done) to them, against such there is no cause of blame.
42. The blame is only against those who oppress men and wrong-doing and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and justice: for such there will be a penalty grievous.
43. But indeed if any show patience and forgive, that would truly be an exercise of courageous will and resolution in the conduct of affairs.
44. For any whom Allah leaves astray, there is no protector thereafter. And thou wilt see the Wrong-doers, when in sight of the Penalty, Say: "Is there any way (to effect) a return?"
45. And thou wilt see them brought forward to the (Penalty), in a humble frame of mind because of (their) disgrace, (and) looking with a stealthy glance. And the Believers will say: "Those are indeed in loss, who have given to perdition their own selves and those belonging to them on the Day of Judgment. Behold! Truly the Wrong-doers are in a lasting Penalty!"
46. And no protectors have they to help them, other than Allah. And for any whom Allah leaves to stray, there is no way (to the Goal).
47. Hearken ye to your Lord, before there come a Day which there will be no putting back, because of (the Ordainment of) Allah. that Day there will be for you no place of refuge nor will there be for you any room for denial (of your sins)!
48. If then they run away, We have not sent thee as a guard over them. Thy duty is but to convey (the Message). And truly, when We give man a taste of a Mercy from Ourselves, he doth exult thereat, but when some ill happens to him, on account of the deeds which his hands have sent forth, truly then is man ungrateful!
49. To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills (and plans). He bestows (children) male or female according to His Will (and Plan),
50. Or He bestows both males and females, and He leaves barren whom He will: for He is full of Knowledge and Power.
51. It is not fitting for a man that Allah should speak to him except by inspiration, or from behind a veil, or by the sending of a messenger to reveal, with Allah.s permission, what Allah wills: for He is Most High, Most Wise.
52. And thus have We, by Our Command, sent
inspiration to thee: thou knewest not (before) what
was Revelation, and what was Faith; but We have made the (Qur'an)
a Light, wherewith We guide such of Our servants as We will; and verily thou
dost guide (men) to the
53. The Way of Allah, to Whom belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Behold (how) all affairs tend towards Allah.
2. By the Book that makes things clear,-
3. We have made it a Qur'an in Arabic, that ye may be able to understand (and learn wisdom).
4. And verily, it is in the Mother of the Book, in Our Presence, high (in dignity), full of wisdom.
5. Shall We then take away the Message from you and repel (you), for that ye are a people transgressing beyond bounds?
6. But how many were the prophets We sent amongst the peoples of old?
7. And never came there a prophet to them but they mocked him.
8. So We destroyed (them)- stronger in power than these;- and (thus) has passed on the Parable of the peoples of old.
9. If thou wert to question them, 'Who created the heavens and the earth?' They would be sure to reply, 'they were created by (Him), the Exalted in Power, Full of Knowledge';-
10. (Yea, the same that) has made for you the earth (like a carpet) spread out, and has made for you roads (and channels) therein, in order that ye may find guidance (on the way);
11. That sends down (from time to time) rain from the sky in due measure;- and We raise to life therewith a land that is dead; even so will ye be raised (from the dead);-
12. That has created pairs in all things, and has made for you ships and cattle on which ye ride,
13. In order that ye may sit firm and square on their backs, and when so seated, ye may celebrate the (kind) favour of your Lord, and say, "Glory to Him Who has subjected these to our (use), for we could never have accomplished this (by ourselves),
14. "And to our Lord, surely, must we turn back!"
15. Yet they attribute to some of His servants a share with Him (in his godhead)! truly is man a blasphemous ingrate avowed!
16. What! has He taken daughters out of what He himself creates, and granted to you sons for choice?
17. When news is brought to one of them of (the birth of) what he sets up as a likeness to ((Allah)) Most Gracious, his face darkens, and he is filled with inward grief!
18. Is then one brought up among trinkets, and unable to give a clear account in a dispute (to be associated with Allah.?
19. And they make into females angels who themselves serve Allah. Did they witness their creation? Their evidence will be recorded, and they will be called to account!
20. ("Ah!") they say, "If it had been the will of ((Allah)) Most Gracious, we should not have worshipped such (deities)!" Of that they have no knowledge! they do nothing but lie!
21. What! have We given them a Book before this, to which they are holding fast?
22. Nay! they say: "We found our fathers following a certain religion, and we do guide ourselves by their footsteps."
23. Just in the same way, whenever We sent a Warner before thee to any people, the wealthy ones among them said: "We found our fathers following a certain religion, and we will certainly follow in their footsteps."
24. He said: "What! Even if I brought you better guidance than that which ye found your fathers following?" They said: "For us, we deny that ye (prophets) are sent (on a mission at all)."
25. So We exacted retribution from them: now see what was the end of those who rejected (Truth)!
26. Behold! Abraham said to his father and his people: "I do indeed clear myself of what ye worship:
27. "(I worship) only Him Who made me, and He will certainly guide me."
28. And he left it as a Word to endure among those who came after him, that they may turn back (to Allah..
29. Yea, I have given the good things of this life to these (men) and their fathers, until the Truth has come to them, and an apostle making things clear.
30. But when the Truth came to them, they said: "This is sorcery, and we do reject it."
31. Also, they say: "Why is not this Qur'an sent down to some leading man in either of the two (chief) cities?"
32. Is it they who would portion out the Mercy of thy Lord? It is We Who portion out between them their livelihood in the life of this world: and We raise some of them above others in ranks, so that some may command work from others. But the Mercy of thy Lord is better than the (wealth) which they amass.
33. And were it not that (all) men might become of one (evil) way of life, We would provide, for everyone that blasphemes against ((Allah)) Most Gracious, silver roofs for their houses and (silver) stair-ways on which to go up,
34. And (silver) doors to their houses, and thrones (of silver) on which they could recline,
35. And also adornments of gold. But all this were nothing but conveniences of the present life: The Hereafter, in the sight of thy Lord is for the Righteous.
36. If anyone withdraws himself from remembrance of ((Allah)) Most Gracious, We appoint for him an evil one, to be an intimate companion to him.
37. Such (evil ones) really hinder them from the Path, but they think that they are being guided aright!
38. At length, when (such a one) comes to Us, he says (to his evil companion): "Would that between me and thee were the distance of East and West!" Ah! evil is the companion (indeed)!
39. When ye have done wrong, it will avail you nothing, that Day, that ye shall be partners in Punishment!
40. Canst thou then make the deaf to hear, or give direction to the blind or to such as (wander) in manifest error?
41. Even if We take thee away, We shall be sure to exact retribution from them,
42. Or We shall show thee that (accomplished) which We have promised them: for verily We shall prevail over them.
43. So hold thou fast to the Revelation sent down to thee; verily thou art
44. The (Qur'an) is indeed the message, for thee and for thy people; and soon shall ye (all) be brought to account.
45. And question thou our apostles whom We sent before thee; did We appoint any deities other than ((Allah)) Most Gracious, to be worshipped?
46. We did send Moses aforetime, with Our Signs, to Pharaoh and his Chiefs: He said, "I am an apostle of the Lord of the Worlds."
47. But when he came to them with Our Signs, behold they ridiculed them.
48. We showed them Sign after Sign, each greater than its fellow, and We seized them with Punishment, in order that they might turn (to Us).
49. And they said, "O thou sorcerer! Invoke thy Lord for us according to His covenant with thee; for we shall truly accept guidance."
50. But when We removed the Penalty from them, behold, they broke their word.
51. And Pharaoh proclaimed among his people, saying: "O my people! Does
not the dominion of
52. "Am I not better than this (Moses), who is a contemptible wretch and can scarcely express himself clearly?
53. "Then why are not gold bracelets bestowed on him, or (why) come (not) with him angels accompanying him in procession?"
54. Thus did he make fools of his people, and they obeyed him: truly were they a people rebellious (against Allah..
55. When at length they provoked Us, We exacted retribution from them, and We drowned them all.
56. And We made them (a people) of the Past and an Example to later ages.
57. When (Jesus) the son of Mary is held up as an example, behold, thy people raise a clamour thereat (in ridicule)!
58. And they say, "Are our gods best, or he?" This they set forth to thee, only by way of disputation: yea, they are a contentious people.
59. He was no more than a servant: We granted Our favour to him, and We made him an example to the Children of Israel.
60. And if it were Our Will, We could make angels from amongst you, succeeding each other on the earth.
61. And (Jesus) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Judgment):
therefore have no doubt about the (Hour), but follow ye Me:
this is a
62. Let not the Evil One hinder you: for he is to you an enemy avowed.
63. When Jesus came with Clear Signs, he said: "Now have I come to you with Wisdom, and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) on which ye dispute: therefore fear Allah and obey me.
64. "For Allah, He is my Lord and your Lord: so worship ye Him: this is
65. But sects from among themselves fell into disagreement: then woe to the wrong-doers, from the Penalty of a Grievous Day!
66. Do they only wait for the Hour - that it should come on them all of a sudden, while they perceive not?
67. Friends on that day will be foes, one to another,- except the Righteous.
68. My devotees! no fear shall be on you that Day, nor shall ye grieve,-
69. (Being) those who have believed in Our Signs and bowed (their wills to Ours) in Islam.
70. Enter ye the Garden, ye and your wives, in (beauty and) rejoicing.
71. To them will be passed round, dishes and goblets of gold: there will be there all that the souls could desire, all that their ayes could delight in: and ye shall abide therein (for eye).
72. Such will be the Garden of which ye are made heirs for your (good) deeds (in life).
73. Ye shall have therein abundance of fruit, from which ye shall have satisfaction.
74. The sinners will be in the Punishment of Hell, to dwell therein (for aye):
75. Nowise will the (Punishment) be lightened for them, and in despair will they be there overwhelmed.
76. Nowise shall We be unjust to them: but it is they who have been unjust themselves.
77. They will cry: "O Malik! would that thy Lord put an end to us!" He will say, "Nay, but ye shall abide!"
78. Verily We have brought the Truth to you: but most of you have a hatred for Truth.
79. What! have they settled some plan (among themselves)? But it is We Who settle things.
80. Or do they think that We hear not their secrets and their private counsels? Indeed (We do), and Our messengers are by them, to record.
81. Say: "If ((Allah)) Most Gracious had a son, I would be the first to worship."
82. Glory to the Lord of the heavens and the earth, the Lord of the Throne (of Authority)! (He is free) from the things they attribute (to him)!
83. So leave them to babble and play (with vanities) until they meet that Day of theirs, which they have been promised.
84. It is He Who is Allah in heaven and Allah on earth; and He is full of Wisdom and Knowledge.
85. And blessed is He to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all between them: with Him is the Knowledge of the Hour (of Judgment): and to Him shall ye be brought back.
86. And those whom they invoke besides Allah have no power of intercession;- only he who bears witness to the Truth, and they know (him).
87. If thou ask them, who created them, they will certainly say, Allah. How then are they deluded away (from the Truth)?
88. ((Allah) has knowledge) of the (Prophet's) cry, "O my Lord! Truly these are people who will not believe!"
89. But turn away from them, and say "Peace!" But soon shall they know!
2. By the Book that makes things clear;-
3. We sent it down during a Blessed Night: for We (ever) wish to warn (against Evil).
4. In the (Night) is made distinct every affair of wisdom,
5. By command, from Our Presence. For We (ever) send (revelations),
6. As Mercy from thy Lord: for He hears and knows (all things);
7. The Lord of the heavens and the earth and all between them, if ye (but) have an assured faith.
8. There is no god but He: It is He Who gives life and gives death,- The Lord and Cherisher to you and your earliest ancestors.
9. Yet they play about in doubt.
10. Then watch thou for the Day that the sky will bring forth a kind of smoke (or mist) plainly visible,
11. Enveloping the people: this will be a Penalty Grievous.
12. (They will say:) "Our Lord! remove the Penalty from us, for we do really believe!"
13. How shall the message be (effectual) for them, seeing that an Messenger explaining things clearly has (already) come to them,-
14. Yet they turn away from him and say: "Tutored (by others), a man possessed!"
15. We shall indeed remove the Penalty for a while, (but) truly ye will revert (to your ways).
16. One day We shall seize you with a mighty onslaught: We will indeed (then) exact Retribution!
17. We did, before them, try the people of Pharaoh: there came to them an apostle most honourable,
18. Saying: "Restore to me the Servants of Allah. I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust;
19. "And be not arrogant as against Allah. for I come to you with authority manifest.
20. "For me, I have sought safety with my Lord and your Lord, against your injuring me.
21. "If ye believe me not, at least keep yourselves away from me."
22. (But they were aggressive:) then he cried to his Lord: "These are indeed a people given to sin."
23. (The reply came:) "March forth with My Servants by night: for ye are sure to be pursued.
24. "And leave the sea as a furrow (divided): for they are a host (destined) to be drowned."
25. How many were the gardens and springs they left behind,
26. And corn-fields and noble buildings,
27. And wealth (and conveniences of life), wherein they had taken such delight!
28. Thus (was their end)! And We made other people inherit (those things)!
29. And neither heaven nor earth shed a tear over them: nor were they given a respite (again).
30. We did deliver aforetime the Children of Israel from humiliating Punishment,
31. Inflicted by Pharaoh, for he was arrogant (even) among inordinate transgressors.
32. And We chose them aforetime above the nations, knowingly,
33. And granted them Signs in which there was a manifest trial
34. As to these (Quraish), they say forsooth:
35. "There is nothing beyond our first death, and we shall not be raised again.
36. "Then bring (back) our forefathers, if what ye say is true!"
37. What! Are they better than the people of Tubba and those who were before them? We destroyed them because they were guilty of sin.
38. We created not the heavens, the earth, and all between them, merely in (idle) sport:
39. We created them not except for just ends: but most of them do not understand.
40. Verily the Day of sorting out is the time appointed for all of them,-
41. The Day when no protector can avail his client in aught, and no help can they receive,
42. Except such as receive Allah.s Mercy: for He is Exalted in Might, Most Merciful.
43. Verily the tree of Zaqqum
44. Will be the food of the Sinful,-
45. Like molten brass; it will boil in their insides.
46. Like the boiling of scalding water.
47. (A voice will cry: "Seize ye him and drag him into the midst of the Blazing Fire!
48. "Then pour over his head the Penalty of Boiling Water,
49. "Taste thou (this)! Truly wast thou mighty, full of honour!
50. "Truly this is what ye used to doubt!"
51. As to the Righteous (they will be) in a position of Security,
52. Among Gardens and Springs;
53. Dressed in fine silk and in rich brocade, they will face each other;
54. So; and We shall join them to Companions with beautiful, big, and lustrous eyes.
55. There can they call for every kind of fruit in peace and security;
56. Nor will they there taste Death, except the first death; and He will preserve them from the Penalty of the Blazing Fire,-
57. As a Bounty from thy Lord! that will be the supreme achievement!
58. Verily, We have made this (Qur'an) easy, in thy tongue, in order that they may give heed.
59. So wait thou and watch; for they (too) are waiting.
2. The revelation of the Book is from Allah the Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
3. Verily in the heavens and the earth, are Signs for those who believe.
4. And in the creation of yourselves and the fact that animals are scattered (through the earth), are Signs for those of assured Faith.
5. And in the alternation of Night and Day, and the fact that Allah sends down Sustenance from the sky, and revives therewith the earth after its death, and in the change of the winds,- are Signs for those that are wise.
6. Such are the Signs of Allah, which We rehearse to thee in Truth; then in what exposition will they believe after (rejecting) Allah and His Signs?
7. Woe to each sinful dealer in Falsehoods:
8. He hears the Signs of Allah rehearsed to him, yet is obstinate and lofty, as if he had not heard them: then announce to him a Penalty Grievous!
9. And when he learns something of Our Signs, he takes them in jest: for such there will be a humiliating Penalty.
10. In front of them is Hell: and of no profit to them is anything they may have earned, nor any protectors they may have taken to themselves besides Allah. for them is a tremendous Penalty.
11. This is (true) Guidance and for those who reject the Signs of their Lord, is a grievous Penalty of abomination.
12. It is Allah Who has subjected the sea to you, that ships may sail through it by His command, that ye may seek of his Bounty, and that ye may be grateful.
13. And He has subjected to you, as from Him, all that is in the heavens and on earth: Behold, in that are Signs indeed for those who reflect.
14. Tell those who believe, to forgive those who do not look forward to the Days of Allah. It is for Him to recompense (for good or ill) each People according to what they have earned.
15. If any one does a righteous deed, it ensures to the benefit of his own soul; if he does evil, it works against (his own soul). In the end will ye (all) be brought back to your Lord.
16. We did aforetime grant to the Children of Israel the Book the Power of Command, and Prophethood; We gave them, for Sustenance, things good and pure; and We favoured them above the nations.
17. And We granted them Clear Signs in affairs (of Religion): it was only after knowledge had been granted to them that they fell into schisms, through insolent envy among themselves. Verily thy Lord will judge between them on the Day of Judgment as to those matters in which they set up differences.
18. Then We put thee on the (right) Way of Religion: so follow thou that (Way), and follow not the desires of those who know not.
19. They will be of no use to thee in the sight of Allah. it is only Wrong-doers (that stand as) protectors, one to another: but Allah is the Protector of the Righteous.
20. These are clear evidences to men and a Guidance and Mercy to those of assured Faith.
21. What! Do those who seek after evil ways think that We shall hold them equal with those who believe and do righteous deeds,- that equal will be their life and their death? Ill is the judgment that they make.
22. Allah created the heavens and the earth for just ends, and in order that each soul may find the recompense of what it has earned, and none of them be wronged.
23. Then seest thou such a one as takes as his god his own vain desire? Allah has, knowing (him as such), left him astray, and sealed his hearing and his heart (and understanding), and put a cover on his sight. Who, then, will guide him after Allah (has withdrawn Guidance)? Will ye not then receive admonition?
24. And they say: "What is there but our life in this world? We shall die and we live, and nothing but time can destroy us." But of that they have no knowledge: they merely conjecture:
25. And when Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them their argument is nothing but this: They say, "Bring (back) our forefathers, if what ye say is true!"
26. Say: "It is Allah Who gives you life, then gives you death; then He will gather you together for the Day of Judgment about which there is no doubt": But most men do not understand.
27. To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and the Day that the Hour of Judgment is established,- that Day will the dealers in Falsehood perish!
28. And thou wilt see every sect bowing the knee: Every sect will be called to its Record: "This Day shall ye be recompensed for all that ye did!
29. "This Our Record speaks about you with truth: For We were wont to put on Record all that ye did."
30. Then, as to those who believed and did righteous deeds, their Lord will admit them to His Mercy that will be the achievement for all to see.
31. But as to those who rejected Allah, (to them will be said): "Were not Our Signs rehearsed to you? But ye were arrogant, and were a people given to sin!
32. "And when it was said that the promise of Allah was true, and that the Hour- there was no doubt about its (coming), ye used to say, 'We know not what is the hour: we only think it is an idea, and we have no firm assurance.'"
33. Then will appear to them the evil (fruits) of what they did, and they will be completely encircled by that which they used to mock at!
34. It will also be said: "This Day We will forget you as ye forgot the meeting of this Day of yours! and your abode is the Fire, and no helpers have ye!
35. "This, because ye used to take the Signs of Allah in jest, and the life of the world deceived you:" (From) that Day, therefore, they shall not be taken out thence, nor shall they be received into Grace.
36. Then Praise be to Allah, Lord of the heavens and Lord of the earth,- Lord and Cherisher of all the Worlds!
37. To Him be glory throughout the heavens and the earth: and He is Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom!
2. The Revelation of the Book is from Allah the Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
3. We created not the heavens and the earth and all between them but for just ends, and for a Term Appointed: But those who reject Faith turn away from that whereof they are warned.
4. Say: "Do ye see what it is ye invoke besides Allah. Show me what it is they have created on earth, or have they a share in the heavens bring me a book (revealed) before this, or any remnant of knowledge (ye may have), if ye are telling the truth!
5. And who is more astray than one who invokes besides Allah, such as will not answer him to the Day of Judgment, and who (in fact) are unconscious of their call (to them)?
6. And when mankind are gathered together (at the Resurrection), they will be hostile to them and reject their worship (altogether)!
7. When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, the Unbelievers say, of the Truth when it comes to them: "This is evident sorcery!"
8. Or do they say, "He has forged it"? Say: "Had I forged it, then can ye obtain no single (blessing) for me from Allah. He knows best of that whereof ye talk (so glibly)! Enough is He for a witness between me and you! And he is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
9. Say: "I am no bringer of new-fangled doctrine among the apostles, nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I follow but that which is revealed to me by inspiration; I am but a Warner open and clear."
10. Say: "See ye? If (this teaching) be from Allah, and ye reject it, and a witness from among the Children of Israel testifies to its similarity (with earlier scripture), and has believed while ye are arrogant, (how unjust ye are!) truly, Allah guides not a people unjust."
11. The Unbelievers say of those who believe: "If (this Message) were a good thing, (such men) would not have gone to it first, before us!" And seeing that they guide not themselves thereby, they will say, "this is an (old,) falsehood!"
12. And before this, was the Book of Moses as a guide and a mercy: And this Book confirms (it) in the Arabic tongue; to admonish the unjust, and as Glad Tidings to those who do right.
13. Verily those who say, "Our Lord is Allah," and remain firm (on that Path),- on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
14. Such shall be Companions of the Gardens, dwelling therein (for aye): a recompense for their (good) deeds.
15. We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents: In pain did his mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth. The carrying of the (child) to his weaning is (a period of) thirty months. At length, when he reaches the age of full strength and attains forty years, he says, "O my Lord! Grant me that I may be grateful for Thy favour which Thou has bestowed upon me, and upon both my parents, and that I may work righteousness such as Thou mayest approve; and be gracious to me in my issue. Truly have I turned to Thee and truly do I bow (to Thee) in Islam."
16. Such are they from whom We shall accept the best of their deeds and pass by their ill deeds: (They shall be) among the Companions of the Garden: a promise! of truth, which was made to them (in this life).
17. But (there is one) who says to his parents, "Fie on you! Do ye hold out the promise to me that I shall be raised up, even though generations have passed before me (without rising again)?" And they two seek Allah.s aid, (and rebuke the son): "Woe to thee! Have faith! for the promise of Allah is true." But he says, "This is nothing but tales of the ancients!"
18. Such are they against whom is proved the sentence among the previous generations of Jinns and men, that have passed away; for they will be (utterly) lost.
19. And to all are (assigned) degrees according to the deeds which they (have done), and in order that ((Allah)) may recompense their deeds, and no injustice be done to them.
20. And on the Day that the Unbelievers will be placed before the Fire, (It will be said to them): "Ye received your good things in the life of the world, and ye took your pleasure out of them: but today shall ye be recompensed with a Penalty of humiliation: for that ye were arrogant on earth without just cause, and that ye (ever) transgressed."
21. Mention (Hud) one of 'Ad's (own) brethren: Behold, he warned his people about the winding Sand-tracts: but there have been warners before him and after him: "Worship ye none other than Allah. Truly I fear for you the Penalty of a Mighty Day."
22. They said: "Hast thou come in order to turn us aside from our gods? Then bring upon us the (calamity) with which thou dost threaten us, if thou art telling the truth?"
23. He said: "The Knowledge (of when it will come) is only with Allah. I proclaim to you the mission on which I have been sent: But I see that ye are a people in ignorance!"..
24. Then, when they saw the (Penalty in the shape of) a cloud traversing the sky, coming to meet their valleys, they said, "This cloud will give us rain!" "Nay, it is the (Calamity) ye were asking to be hastened!- A wind wherein is a Grievous Penalty!
25. "Everything will it destroy by the command of its Lord!" Then by the morning they - nothing was to be seen but (the ruins of) their houses! thus do We recompense those given to sin!
26. And We had firmly established them in a (prosperity and) power which We have not given to you (ye Quraish!) and We had endowed them with (faculties of) hearing, seeing, heart and intellect: but of no profit to them were their (faculties of) hearing, sight, and heart and intellect, when they went on rejecting the Signs of Allah. and they were (completely) encircled by that which they used to mock at!
27. We destroyed aforetime populations round about you; and We have shown the Signs in various ways, that they may turn (to Us).
28. Why then was no help forthcoming to them from those whom they worshipped as gods, besides Allah, as a means of access (to Allah.? Nay, they left them in the lurch: but that was their falsehood and their invention.
29. Behold, We turned towards thee a company of Jinns (quietly) listening to the Qur'an: when they stood in the presence thereof, they said, "Listen in silence!" When the (reading) was finished, they returned to their people, to warn (them of their sins).
30. They said, "O our people! We have heard a Book revealed after Moses, confirming what came before it: it guides (men) to the Truth and to a Straight Path.
31. "O our people, hearken to the one who invites (you) to Allah, and believe in him: He will forgive you your faults, and deliver you from a Penalty Grievous.
32. "If any does not hearken to the one who invites (us) to Allah, he cannot frustrate ((Allah)'s Plan) on earth, and no protectors can he have besides Allah. such men (wander) in manifest error."
33. See they not that Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth, and never wearied with their creation, is able to give life to the dead? Yea, verily He has power over all things.
34. And on the Day that the Unbelievers will be placed before the Fire, (they will be asked,) "Is this not the Truth?" they will say, "Yea, by our Lord!" (One will say:) "Then taste ye the Penalty, for that ye were wont to deny (Truth)!"
35. Therefore patiently persevere, as did (all) apostles of inflexible purpose; and be in no haste about the (Unbelievers). On the Day that they see the (Punishment) promised them, (it will be) as if they had not tarried more than an hour in a single day. (Thine but) to proclaim the Message: but shall any be destroyed except those who transgress?
1. Those who reject Allah and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah,- their deeds will Allah render astray (from their mark).
2. But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and believe in the (Revelation) sent down to Muhammad - for it is the Truth from their Lord,- He will remove from them their ills and improve their condition.
3. This because those who reject Allah follow vanities, while those who believe follow the Truth from their Lord: Thus does Allah set forth for men their lessons by similitudes.
4. Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them): thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are ye commanded): but if it had been Allah.s Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,- He will never let their deeds be lost.
5. Soon will He guide them and improve their condition,
6. And admit them to the Garden which He has announced for them.
7. O ye who believe! If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly.
8. But those who reject ((Allah)),- for them is destruction, and ((Allah)) will render their deeds astray (from their mark).
9. That is because they hate the Revelation of Allah. so He has made their deeds fruitless.
10. Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them (who did evil)? Allah brought utter destruction on them, and similar (fates await) those who reject Allah.
11. That is because Allah is the Protector of those who believe, but those who reject Allah have no protector.
12. Verily Allah will admit those who believe and do righteous deeds, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow; while those who reject Allah will enjoy (this world) and eat as cattle eat; and the Fire will be their abode.
13. And how many cities, with more power than thy city which has driven thee out, have We destroyed (for their sins)? and there was none to aid them.
14. Is then one who is on a clear (Path) from his Lord, no better than one to whom the evil of his conduct seems pleasing, and such as follow their own lusts?
15. (Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)?
16. And among them are men who listen to thee, but in the end, when they go out from thee, they say to those who have received Knowledge, "What is it he said just then?" Such are men whose hearts Allah has sealed, and who follow their own lusts.
17. But to those who receive Guidance, He increases the (light of) Guidance, and bestows on them their Piety and Restraint (from evil).
18. Do they then only wait for the Hour,- that it should come on them of a sudden? But already have come some tokens thereof, and when it (actually) is on them, how can they benefit then by their admonition?
19. Know, therefore, that there is no god but Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and for the men and women who believe: for Allah knows how ye move about and how ye dwell in your homes.
20. Those who believe say, "Why is not a sura sent down (for us)?" But when a sura of basic or categorical meaning is revealed, and fighting is mentioned therein, thou wilt see those in whose hearts is a disease looking at thee with a look of one in swoon at the approach of death. But more fitting for them-
21. Were it to obey and say what is just, and when a matter is resolved on, it were best for them if they were true to Allah.
22. Then, is it to be expected of you, if ye were put in authority, that ye will do mischief in the land, and break your ties of kith and kin?
23. Such are the men whom Allah has cursed for He has made them deaf and blinded their sight.
24. Do they not then earnestly seek to understand the Qur'an, or are their hearts locked up by them?
25. Those who turn back as apostates after Guidance was clearly shown to them,- the Evil One has instigated them and busied them up with false hopes.
26. This, because they said to those who hate what Allah has revealed, "We will obey you in part of (this) matter"; but Allah knows their (inner) secrets.
27. But how (will it be) when the angels take their souls at death, and smite their faces and their backs?
28. This because they followed that which called forth the Wrath of Allah, and they hated Allah.s good pleasure; so He made their deeds of no effect.
29. Or do those in whose hearts is a disease, think that Allah will not bring to light all their rancour?
30. Had We so wiled, We could have shown them up to thee, and thou shouldst have known them by their marks: but surely thou wilt know them by the tone of their speech! And Allah knows all that ye do.
31. And We shall try you until We test those among you who strive their utmost and persevere in patience; and We shall try your reported (mettle).
32. Those who reject Allah, hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, and resist the Messenger, after Guidance has been clearly shown to them, will not injure Allah in the least, but He will make their deeds of no effect.
33. O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the apostle, and make not vain your deeds!
34. Those who reject Allah, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, then die rejecting Allah,- Allah will not forgive them.
35. Be not weary and faint-hearted, crying for peace, when ye should be uppermost: for Allah is with you, and will never put you in loss for your (good) deeds.
36. The life of this world is but play and amusement: and if ye believe and guard against Evil, He will grant you your recompense, and will not ask you (to give up) your possessions.
37. If He were to ask you for all of them, and press you, ye would covetously withhold, and He would bring out all your ill-feeling.
38. Behold, ye are those invited to spend (of your substance) in the Way of Allah. But among you are some that are niggardly. But any who are niggardly are so at the expense of their own souls. But Allah is free of all wants, and it is ye that are needy. If ye turn back (from the Path), He will substitute in your stead another people; then they would not be like you!
1. Verily We have granted thee a manifest Victory:
2. That Allah may forgive thee thy faults of the past and those to follow; fulfil His favour to thee; and
guide thee on the
3. And that Allah may help thee with powerful help.
4. It is He Who sent down tranquillity into the hearts of the Believers, that they may add faith to their faith;- for to Allah belong the Forces of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is Full of Knowledge and Wisdom;-
5. That He may admit the men and women who believe, to Gardens beneath which rivers flow, to dwell therein for aye, and remove their ills from them;- and that is, in the sight of Allah, the highest achievement (for man),-
6. And that He may punish the Hypocrites, men and women, and the Polytheists men and women, who imagine an evil opinion of Allah. On them is a round of Evil: the Wrath of Allah is on them: He has cursed them and got Hell ready for them: and evil is it for a destination.
7. For to Allah belong the Forces of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
8. We have truly sent thee as a witness, as a bringer of Glad Tidings, and as a Warner:
9. In order that ye (O men) may believe in Allah and His Messenger, that ye may assist and honour Him, and celebrate His praise morning and evening.
10. Verily those who plight their fealty to thee do no less than plight their fealty to Allah. the Hand of Allah is over their hands: then any one who violates his oath, does so to the harm of his own soul, and any one who fulfils what he has covenanted with Allah,- Allah will soon grant him a great Reward.
11. The desert Arabs who lagged behind will say to thee: "We were engaged in (looking after) our flocks and herds, and our families: do thou then ask forgiveness for us." They say with their tongues what is not in their hearts. Say: "Who then has any power at all (to intervene) on your behalf with Allah, if His Will is to give you some loss or to give you some profit? But Allah is well acquainted with all that ye do.
12. "Nay, ye thought that the Messenger and the Believers would never return to their families; this seemed pleasing in your hearts, and ye conceived an evil thought, for ye are a people lost (in wickedness)."
13. And if any believe not in Allah and His Messenger, We have prepared, for those who reject Allah, a Blazing Fire!
14. To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: He forgives whom He wills, and He punishes whom He wills: but Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
15. Those who lagged behind (will say), when ye (are free to) march and take booty (in war): "Permit us to follow you." They wish to change Allah.s decree: Say: "Not thus will ye follow us: Allah has already declared (this) beforehand": then they will say, "But ye are jealous of us." Nay, but little do they understand (such things).
16. Say to the desert Arabs who lagged behind: "Ye shall be summoned (to fight) against a people given to vehement war: then shall ye fight, or they shall submit. Then if ye show obedience, Allah will grant you a goodly reward, but if ye turn back as ye did before, He will punish you with a grievous Penalty."
17. No blame is there on the blind, nor is there blame on the lame, nor on one ill (if he joins not the war): But he that obeys Allah and his Messenger,- ((Allah)) will admit him to Gardens beneath which rivers flow; and he who turns back, ((Allah)) will punish him with a grievous Penalty.
18. Allah.s Good Pleasure was on the Believers when they swore Fealty to thee under the Tree: He knew what was in their hearts, and He sent down Tranquillity to them; and He rewarded them with a speedy Victory;
19. And many gains will they acquire (besides): and Allah is Exalted in Power, Full of Wisdom.
20. Allah has promised you many gains that ye shall acquire, and He has given you these beforehand; and He has restrained the hands of men from you; that it may be a Sign for the Believers, and that He may guide you to a Straight Path;
21. And other gains (there are), which are not within your power, but which Allah has compassed: and Allah has power over all things.
22. If the Unbelievers should fight you, they would certainly turn their backs; then would they find neither protector nor helper.
23. (Such has been) the practice (approved) of Allah already in the past: no change wilt thou find in the practice (approved) of Allah.
24. And it is He Who has restrained their hands from you and your hands from them in the midst of Makka, after that He gave you the victory over them. And Allah sees well all that ye do.
25. They are the ones who denied Revelation and hindered you from the Sacred Mosque and the sacrificial animals, detained from reaching their place of sacrifice. Had there not been believing men and believing women whom ye did not know that ye were trampling down and on whose account a crime would have accrued to you without (your) knowledge, ((Allah) would have allowed you to force your way, but He held back your hands) that He may admit to His Mercy whom He will. If they had been apart, We should certainly have punished the Unbelievers among them with a grievous Punishment.
26. While the Unbelievers got up in their hearts heat and cant - the heat and cant of ignorance,- Allah sent down His Tranquillity to his Messenger and to the Believers, and made them stick close to the command of self-restraint; and well were they entitled to it and worthy of it. And Allah has full knowledge of all things.
27. Truly did Allah fulfil the vision for His Messenger. ye shall enter the Sacred Mosque, if Allah wills, with minds secure, heads shaved, hair cut short, and without fear. For He knew what ye knew not, and He granted, besides this, a speedy victory.
28. It is He Who has sent His Messenger with Guidance and the Religion of Truth, to proclaim it over all religion: and enough is Allah for a Witness.
29. Muhammad is the apostle of Allah. and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate amongst each other. Thou wilt see them bow and prostrate themselves (in prayer), seeking Grace from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure. On their faces are their marks, (being) the traces of their prostration. This is their similitude in the Taurat; and their similitude in the Gospel is: like a seed which sends forth its blade, then makes it strong; it then becomes thick, and it stands on its own stem, (filling) the sowers with wonder and delight. As a result, it fills the Unbelievers with rage at them. Allah has promised those among them who believe and do righteous deeds forgiveness, and a great Reward.
1. O Ye who believe! Put not yourselves forward before Allah and His Messenger. but fear Allah. for Allah is He Who hears and knows all things.
2. O ye who believe! Raise not your voices above the voice of the Prophet, nor speak aloud to him in talk, as ye may speak aloud to one another, lest your deeds become vain and ye perceive not.
3. Those that lower their voices in the presence of Allah.s Messenger,- their hearts has Allah tested for piety: for them is Forgiveness and a great Reward.
4. Those who shout out to thee from without the inner apartments - most of them lack understanding.
5. If only they had patience until thou couldst come out to them, it would be best for them: but Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
6. O ye who believe! If a wicked person comes to you with any news, ascertain the truth, lest ye harm people unwittingly, and afterwards become full of repentance for what ye have done.
7. And know that among you is Allah.s Messenger. were he, in many matters, to follow your (wishes), ye would certainly fall into misfortune: But Allah has endeared the Faith to you, and has made it beautiful in your hearts, and He has made hateful to you Unbelief, wickedness, and rebellion: such indeed are those who walk in righteousness;-
8. A Grace and Favour from Allah. and Allah is full of Knowledge and Wisdom.
9. If two parties among the Believers fall into a quarrel, make ye peace between them: but if one of them transgresses beyond bounds against the other then fight ye (all) against the one that transgresses until it complies with the command of Allah; but if it complies then make peace between them with justice and be fair: for Allah loves those who are fair (and just).
10. The Believers are but a single Brotherhood: So make peace and reconciliation between your two (contending) brothers; and fear Allah, that ye may receive Mercy.
11. O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): Nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former): Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.
12. O ye who believe! Avoid suspicion as much (as possible): for suspicion in some cases is a sin: And spy not on each other behind their backs. Would any of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Nay, ye would abhor it...But fear Allah. For Allah is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
13. O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).
14. The desert Arabs say, "We believe." Say, "Ye have no faith; but ye (only)say, 'We have submitted our wills to Allah,' For not yet has Faith entered your hearts. But if ye obey Allah and His Messenger, He will not belittle aught of your deeds: for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
15. Only those are Believers who have believed in Allah and His Messenger, and have never since doubted, but have striven with their belongings and their persons in the Cause of Allah: Such are the sincere ones.
16. Say: "What! Will ye instruct Allah about your religion? But Allah knows all that is in the heavens and on earth: He has full knowledge of all things.
17. They impress on thee as a favour that they have embraced Islam. Say, "Count not your Islam as a favour upon me: Nay, Allah has conferred a favour upon you that He has guided you to the faith, if ye be true and sincere.
18. "Verily Allah knows the secrets of the heavens and the earth: and Allah Sees well all that ye do."
1. Qaf: By the Glorious Qur'an (Thou art Allah.s Messenger..
2. But they wonder that there has come to them a Warner from among themselves. So the Unbelievers say: "This is a wonderful thing!
3. "What! When we die and become dust, (shall we live again?) That is a (sort of) return far (from our understanding)."
4. We already know how much of them the earth takes away: With Us is a record guarding (the full account).
5. But they deny the Truth when it comes to them: so they are in a confused state.
6. Do they not look at the sky above them?- How We have made it and adorned it, and there are no flaws in it?
7. And the earth- We have spread it out, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and produced therein every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs)-
8. To be observed and commemorated by every devotee turning (to Allah..
9. And We send down from the sky rain charted with blessing, and We produce therewith gardens and Grain for harvests;
10. And tall (and stately) palm-trees, with shoots of fruit-stalks, piled one over another;-
11. As sustenance for ((Allah)'s) Servants;- and We give (new) life therewith to land that is dead: Thus will be the Resurrection.
12. Before them was denied (the Hereafter) by the People of Noah, the Companions of the Rass, the Thamud,
13. The 'Ad, Pharaoh, the brethren of Lut,
14. The Companions of the Wood, and the People of Tubba'; each one (of them) rejected the apostles, and My warning was duly fulfilled (in them).
15. Were We then weary with the first Creation, that they should be in confused doubt about a new Creation?
16. It was We Who created man, and We know what dark suggestions his soul makes to him: for We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein.
17. Behold, two (guardian angels) appointed to learn (his doings) learn (and noted them), one sitting on the right and one on the left.
18. Not a word does he utter but there is a sentinel by him, ready (to note it).
19. And the stupor of death will bring Truth (before his eyes): "This was the thing which thou wast trying to escape!"
20. And the Trumpet shall be blown: that will be the Day whereof Warning (had been given).
21. And there will come forth every soul: with each will be an (angel) to drive, and an (angel) to bear witness.
22. (It will be said:) "Thou wast heedless of this; now have We removed thy veil, and sharp is thy sight this Day!"
23. And his Companion will say: "Here is (his Record) ready with me!"
24. (The sentence will be:) "Throw, throw into Hell every contumacious Rejecter (of Allah.!-
25. "Who forbade what was good, transgressed all bounds, cast doubts and suspicions;
26. "Who set up another god beside Allah. Throw him into a severe penalty."
27. His Companion will say: "Our Lord! I did not make him transgress, but he was (himself) far astray."
28. He will say: "Dispute not with each other in My Presence: I had already in advance sent you Warning.
29. "The Word changes not before Me, and I do not the least injustice to My Servants."
30. One Day We will ask Hell, "Art thou filled to the full?" It will say, "Are there any more (to come)?"
31. And the Garden will be brought nigh to the Righteous,- no more a thing distant.
32. (A voice will say:) "This is what was promised for you,- for every one who turned (to Allah. in sincere repentance, who kept (His Law),
33. "Who feared ((Allah)) Most Gracious Unseen, and brought a heart turned in devotion (to Him):
34. "Enter ye therein in Peace and Security; this is a Day of Eternal Life!"
35. There will be for them therein all that they wish,- and more besides in Our Presence.
36. But how many generations before them did We destroy (for their sins),- stronger in power than they? Then did they wander through the land: was there any place of escape (for them)?
37. Verily in this is a Message for any that has a heart and understanding or who gives ear and earnestly witnesses (the truth).
38. We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in Six Days, nor did any sense of weariness touch Us.
39. Bear, then, with patience, all that they say, and celebrate the praises of thy Lord, before the rising of the sun and before (its) setting.
40. And during part of the night, (also,) celebrate His praises, and (so likewise) after the postures of adoration.
41. And listen for the Day when the Caller will call out from a place quiet near,-
42. The Day when they will hear a (mighty) Blast in (very) truth: that will be the Day of Resurrection.
43. Verily it is We Who give Life and Death; and to Us is the Final Goal-
44. The Day when the Earth will be rent asunder, from (men) hurrying out: that will be a gathering together,- quite easy for Us.
45. We know best what they say; and thou art not one to overawe them by force. So admonish with the Qur'an such as fear My Warning!
1. By the (Winds) that scatter broadcast;
2. And those that lift and bear away heavy weights;
3. And those that flow with ease and gentleness;
4. And those that distribute and apportion by Command;-
5. Verily that which ye are promised is true;
6. And verily Judgment and Justice must indeed come to pass.
7. By the Sky with (its) numerous Paths,
8. Truly ye are in a doctrine discordant,
9. Through which are deluded (away from the Truth) such as would be deluded.
10. Woe to the falsehood-mongers,-
11. Those who (flounder) heedless in a flood of confusion:
12. They ask, "When will be the Day of Judgment and Justice?"
13. (It will be) a Day when they will be tried (and tested) over the Fire!
14. "Taste ye your trial! This is what ye used to ask to be hastened!"
15. As to the Righteous, they will be in the midst of Gardens and Springs,
16. Taking joy in the things which their Lord gives them, because, before then, they lived a good life.
17. They were in the habit of sleeping but little by night,
18. And in the hour of early dawn, they (were found) praying for Forgiveness;
19. And in their wealth and possessions (was remembered) the right of the (needy,) him who asked, and him who (for some reason) was prevented (from asking).
20. On the earth are signs for those of assured Faith,
21. As also in your own selves: Will ye not then see?
22. And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that which ye are promised.
23. Then, by the Lord of heaven and earth, this is the very Truth, as much as the fact that ye can speak intelligently to each other.
24. Has the story reached thee, of the honoured guests of Abraham?
25. Behold, they entered his presence, and said: "Peace!" He said, "Peace!" (and thought, "These seem) unusual people."
26. Then he turned quickly to his household, brought out a fatted calf,
27. And placed it before them.. he said, "Will ye not eat?"
28. (When they did not eat), He conceived a fear of them. They said, "Fear not," and they gave him glad tidings of a son endowed with knowledge.
29. But his wife came forward (laughing) aloud: she smote her forehead and said: "A barren old woman!"
30. They said, "Even so has thy Lord spoken: and He is full of Wisdom and Knowledge."
31. (Abraham) said: "And what, O ye Messengers, is your errand (now)?"
32. They said, "We have been sent to a people (deep) in sin;-
33. "To bring on, on them, (a shower of) stones of clay (brimstone),
34. "Marked as from thy Lord for those who trespass beyond bounds."
35. Then We evacuated those of the Believers who were there,
36. But We found not there any just (Muslim) persons except in one house:
37. And We left there a Sign for such as fear the Grievous Penalty.
38. And in Moses (was another Sign): Behold, We sent him to Pharaoh, with authority manifest.
39. But (Pharaoh) turned back with his Chiefs, and said, "A sorcerer, or one possessed!"
40. So We took him and his forces, and threw them into the sea; and his was the blame.
41. And in the 'Ad (people) (was another Sign): Behold, We sent against them the devastating Wind:
42. It left nothing whatever that it came up against, but reduced it to ruin and rottenness.
43. And in the Thamud (was another Sign): Behold, they were told, "Enjoy (your brief day) for a little while!"
44. But they insolently defied the Command of their Lord: So the stunning noise (of an earthquake) seized them, even while they were looking on.
45. Then they could not even stand (on their feet), nor could they help themselves.
46. So were the People of Noah before them for they wickedly transgressed.
47. With power and skill did We construct the Firmament: for it is We Who create the vastness of pace.
48. And We have spread out the (spacious) earth: How excellently We do spread out!
49. And of every thing We have created pairs: That ye may receive instruction.
50. Hasten ye then (at once) to Allah. I am from Him a Warner to you, clear and open!
51. And make not another an object of worship with Allah. I am from Him a Warner to you, clear and open!
52. Similarly, no apostle came to the Peoples before them, but they said (of him) in like manner, "A sorcerer, or one possessed"!
53. Is this the legacy they have transmitted, one to another? Nay, they are themselves a people transgressing beyond bounds!
54. So turn away from them: not thine is the blame.
55. But teach (thy Message) for teaching benefits the Believers.
56. I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me.
57. No Sustenance do I require of them, nor do I require that they should feed Me.
58. For Allah is He Who gives (all) Sustenance,- Lord of Power,- Steadfast (for ever).
59. For the Wrong-doers, their portion is like unto the portion of their fellows (of earlier generations): then let them not ask Me to hasten (that portion)!
60. Woe, then, to the Unbelievers, on account of that Day of theirs which they have been promised!
1. By the Mount (of Revelation);
2. By a Decree inscribed
3. In a Scroll unfolded;
4. By the much-frequented Fane;
5. By the Canopy Raised High;
6. And by the Ocean filled with Swell;-
7. Verily, the Doom of thy Lord will indeed come to pass;-
8. There is none can avert it;-
9. On the Day when the firmament will be in dreadful commotion.
10. And the mountains will fly hither and thither.
11. Then woe that Day to those that treat (Truth) as Falsehood;-
12. That play (and paddle) in shallow trifles.
13. That Day shall they be thrust down to the Fire of Hell, irresistibly.
14. "This:, it will be said, "Is the Fire,- which ye were wont to deny!
15. "Is this then a fake, or is it ye that do not see?
16. "Burn ye therein: the same is it to you whether ye bear it with patience, or not: Ye but receive the recompense of your (own) deeds."
17. As to the Righteous, they will be in Gardens, and in Happiness,-
18. Enjoying the (Bliss) which their Lord hath bestowed on them, and their Lord shall deliver them from the Penalty of the Fire.
19. (To them will be said:) "Eat and drink ye, with profit and health, because of your (good) deeds."
20. They will recline (with ease) on Thrones (of dignity) arranged in ranks; and We shall join them to Companions, with beautiful big and lustrous eyes.
21. And those who believe and whose families follow them in Faith,- to them shall We join their families: Nor shall We deprive them (of the fruit) of aught of their works: (Yet) is each individual in pledge for his deeds.
22. And We shall bestow on them, of fruit and meat, anything they shall desire.
23. They shall there exchange, one with another, a (loving) cup free of frivolity, free of all taint of ill.
24. Round about them will serve, (devoted) to them. Youths (handsome) as Pearls well-guarded.
25. They will advance to each other, engaging in mutual enquiry.
26. They will say: "Aforetime, we were not without fear for the sake of our people.
27. "But Allah has been good to us, and has delivered us from the Penalty of the Scorching Wind.
28. "Truly, we did call unto Him from of old: truly it is He, the Beneficent, the Merciful!"
29. Therefore proclaim thou the praises (of thy Lord): for by the Grace of thy Lord, thou art no (vulgar) soothsayer, nor art thou one possessed.
30. Or do they say:- "A Poet! we await for him some calamity (hatched) by Time!"
31. Say thou: "Await ye!- I too will wait along with you!"
32. Is it that their faculties of understanding urge them to this, or are they but a people transgressing beyond bounds?
33. Or do they say, "He fabricated the (Message)"? Nay, they have no faith!
34. Let them then produce a recital like unto it,- If (it be) they speak the truth!
35. Were they created of nothing, or were they themselves the creators?
36. Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, they have no firm belief.
37. Or are the Treasures of thy Lord with them, or are they the managers (of affairs)?
38. Or have they a ladder, by which they can (climb up to heaven and) listen (to its secrets)? Then let (such a) listener of theirs produce a manifest proof.
39. Or has He only daughters and ye have sons?
40. Or is it that thou dost ask for a reward, so that they are burdened with a load of debt?-
41. Or that the Unseen in it their hands, and they write it down?
42. Or do they intend a plot (against thee)? But those who defy Allah are themselves involved in a Plot!
43. Or have they a god other than Allah. Exalted is Allah far above the things they associate with Him!
44. Were they to see a piece of the sky falling (on them), they would (only) say: "Clouds gathered in heaps!"
45. So leave them alone until they encounter that Day of theirs, wherein they shall (perforce) swoon (with terror),-
46. The Day when their plotting will avail them nothing and no help shall be given them.
47. And verily, for those who do wrong, there is another punishment besides this: But most of them understand not.
48. Now await in patience the command of thy Lord: for verily thou art in Our eyes: and celebrate the praises of thy Lord the while thou standest forth,
49. And for part of the night also praise thou Him,- and at the retreat of the stars!