This is a translation to the Quran by Abdullah Yusufali.
Each chapter is called Surah in Arabic
To read a specific chapter, please click on its name or number:
1. Praise be to Allah, to Whom belong all things in the heavens and on earth: to Him be Praise in the Hereafter: and He is Full of Wisdom, acquainted with all things.
2. He knows all that goes into the earth, and all that comes out thereof; all that comes down from the sky and all that ascends thereto and He is the Most Merciful, the Oft-Forgiving.
3. The Unbelievers say, "Never to us will come the Hour": Say, "Nay! but most surely, by my Lord, it will come upon you;- by Him Who knows the unseen,- from Whom is not hidden the least little atom in the heavens or on earth: Nor is there anything less than that, or greater, but is in the Record Perspicuous:
4. That He may reward those who believe and work deeds of righteousness: for such is Forgiveness and a Sustenance Most Generous."
5. But those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them,- for such will be a Penalty,- a Punishment most humiliating.
6. And those to whom knowledge has come see that the (Revelation) sent down to thee from thy Lord - that is the Truth, and that it guides to the Path of the Exalted (in might), Worthy of all praise.
7. The Unbelievers say (in ridicule): "Shall we point out to you a man that will tell you, when ye are all scattered to pieces in disintegration, that ye shall (then be raised) in a New Creation?
8. "Has he invented a falsehood against Allah, or has a spirit (seized) him?"- Nay, it is those who believe not in the Hereafter, that are in (real) Penalty, and in farthest error.
9. See they not what is before them and behind them, of the sky and the earth? If We wished, We could cause the earth to swallow them up, or cause a piece of the sky to fall upon them. Verily in this is a Sign for every devotee that turns to Allah (in repentance).
10. We bestowed Grace aforetime on David from ourselves: "O ye Mountains! Sing ye back the Praises of Allah with him! and ye birds (also)! And We made the iron soft for him;-
11. (Commanding), "Make thou coast of mail, balancing well the rings of chain armour, and work ye righteousness; for be sure I see (clearly) all that ye do."
12. And to Solomon (We made) the Wind (obedient): Its early morning (stride) was a month's (journey), and its evening (stride) was a month's (journey); and We made a Font of molten brass to flow for him; and there were Jinns that worked in front of him, by the leave of his Lord, and if any of them turned aside from our command, We made him taste of the Penalty of the Blazing Fire.
13. They worked for him as he desired, (making) arches, images, basons as large as reservoirs, and (cooking) cauldrons fixed (in their places): "Work ye, sons of David, with thanks! but few of My servants are grateful!"
14. Then, when We decreed (Solomon's) death, nothing showed them his death except a little worm of the earth, which kept (slowly) gnawing away at his staff: so when he fell down, the Jinns saw plainly that if they had known the unseen, they would not have tarried in the humiliating Penalty (of their Task).
15. There was, for
16. But they turned away (from Allah., and We sent against them the Flood (released) from the dams, and We converted their two garden (rows) into "gardens" producing bitter fruit, and tamarisks, and some few (stunted) Lote-trees.
17. That was the Requital We gave them because they ungratefully rejected Faith: and never do We give (such) requital except to such as are ungrateful rejecters.
18. Between them and the Cities on which We had poured our blessings, We had placed Cities in prominent positions, and between them We had appointed stages of journey in due proportion: "Travel therein, secure, by night and by day."
19. But they said: "Our Lord! Place longer distances between our journey- stages": but they wronged themselves (therein). At length We made them as a tale (that is told), and We dispersed them all in scattered fragments. Verily in this are Signs for every (soul that is) patiently constant and grateful.
20. And on them did Satan prove true his idea, and they followed him, all but a party that believed.
21. But he had no authority over them,- except that We might test the man who believes in the Hereafter from him who is in doubt concerning it: and thy Lord doth watch over all things.
22. Say: "Call upon other (gods) whom ye fancy, besides Allah. They have no power,- not the weight of an atom,- in the heavens or on earth: No (sort of) share have they therein, nor is any of them a helper to Allah.
23. "No intercession can avail in His Presence, except for those for whom He has granted permission. So far (is this the case) that, when terror is removed from their hearts (at the Day of Judgment, then) will they say, 'what is it that your Lord commanded?' they will say, 'That which is true and just; and He is the Most High Most Great'."
24. Say: "Who gives you sustenance, from the heavens and the earth?" Say: "It is Allah. and certain it is that either we or ye are on right guidance or in manifest error!"
25. Say: "Ye shall not be questioned as to our sins, nor shall we be questioned as to what ye do."
26. Say: "Our Lord will gather us together and will in the end decide the matter between us (and you) in truth and justice: and He is the one to decide, the One Who knows all."
27. Say: "Show me those whom ye have joined with Him as partners: by no means (can ye). Nay, He is Allah, the Exalted in Power, the Wise."
28. We have not sent thee but as a universal (Messenger) to men, giving them glad tidings, and warning them (against sin), but most men understand not.
29. They say: "When will this promise (come to pass) if ye are telling the truth?"
30. Say: "The appointment to you is for a Day, which ye cannot put back for an hour nor put forward."
31. The Unbelievers say: "We shall neither believe in this scripture nor in (any) that (came) before it." Couldst thou but see when the wrong-doers will be made to stand before their Lord, throwing back the word (of blame) on one another! Those who had been despised will say to the arrogant ones: "Had it not been for you, we should certainly have been believers!"
32. The arrogant ones will say to those who had been despised: "Was it we who kept you back from Guidance after it reached you? Nay, rather, it was ye who transgressed.
33. Those who had been despised will say to the arrogant ones: "Nay! it was a plot (of yours) by day and by night: Behold! Ye (constantly) ordered us to be ungrateful to Allah and to attribute equals to Him!" They will declare (their) repentance when they see the Penalty: We shall put yokes on the necks of the Unbelievers: It would only be a requital for their (ill) Deeds.
34. Never did We send a warner to a population, but the wealthy ones among them said: "We believe not in the (Message) with which ye have been sent."
35. They said: "We have more in wealth and in sons, and we cannot be punished."
36. Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Provision to whom He pleases, but most men understand not."
37. It is not your wealth nor your sons, that will bring you nearer to Us in degree: but only those who believe and work righteousness - these are the ones for whom there is a muultiplied Reward for their deeds, while secure they (reside) in the dwellings on high!
38. Those who strive against Our Signs, to frustrate them, will be given over into Punishment.
39. Say: "Verily my Lord enlarges and restricts the Sustenance to such of his servants as He pleases: and nothing do ye spend in the least (in His cause) but He replaces it: for He is the Best of those who grant Sustenance.
40. One Day He will gather them all together, and say to the angels, "Was it you that these men used to worship?"
41. They will say, "Glory to Thee! our (tie) is with Thee - as Protector - not with them. Nay, but they worshipped the Jinns: most of them believed in them."
42. So on that Day no power shall they have over each other, for profit or harm: and We shall say to the wrong-doers, "Taste ye the Penalty of the Fire,- the which ye were wont to deny!"
43. When Our Clear Signs are rehearsed to them, they say, "This is only a man who wishes to hinder you from the (worship) which your fathers practised." And they say, "This is only a falsehood invented!" and the Unbelievers say of the Truth when it comes to them, "This is nothing but evident magic!"
44. But We had not given them Books which they could study, nor sent apostles to them before thee as Warners.
45. And their predecessors rejected (the Truth); these have not received a tenth of what We had granted to those: yet when they rejected My apostles, how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)!
46. Say: "I do admonish you on one point: that ye do stand up before Allah,- (It may be) in pairs, or (it may be) singly,- and reflect (within yourselves): your Companion is not possessed: he is no less than a warner to you, in face of a terrible Penalty."
47. Say: "No reward do I ask of you: it is (all) in your interest: my reward is only due from Allah. And He is witness to all things."
48. Say: "Verily my Lord doth cast the (mantle of) Truth (over His servants),- He that has full knowledge of (all) that is hidden."
49. Say: "The Truth has arrived, and Falsehood neither creates anything new, nor restores anything."
50. Say: "If I am astray, I only stray to the loss of my own soul: but if I receive guidance, it is because of the inspiration of my Lord to me: it is He Who hears all things, and is (ever) near."
51. If thou couldst but see when they will quake with terror; but then there will be no escape (for them), and they will be seized from a position (quite) near.
52. And they will say, "We do believe (now) in the (Truth)"; but how could they receive (Faith) from a position (so far off,-
53. Seeing that they did reject Faith (entirely) before, and that they (continually) cast (slanders) on the unseen from a position far off?
54. And between them and their desires, is placed a barrier, as was done in the past with their partisans: for they were indeed in suspicious (disquieting) doubt.
1. Praise be to Allah, Who created (out of nothing) the heavens and the earth, Who made the angels, messengers with wings,- two, or three, or four (pairs): He adds to Creation as He pleases: for Allah has power over all things.
2. What Allah out of his Mercy doth bestow on mankind there is none can withhold: what He doth withhold, there is none can grant, apart from Him: and He is the Exalted in Power, full of Wisdom.
3. O men! Call to mind the grace of Allah unto you! is there a creator, other than Allah, to give you sustenance from heaven or earth? There is no god but He: how then are ye deluded away from the Truth?
4. And if they reject thee, so were apostles rejected before thee: to Allah back for decision all affairs.
5. O men! Certainly the promise of Allah is true. Let not then this present life deceive you, nor let the Chief Deceiver deceive you about Allah.
6. Verily Satan is an enemy to you: so treat him as an enemy. He only invites his adherents, that they may become Companions of the Blazing Fire.
7. For those who reject Allah, is a terrible Penalty: but for those who believe and work righteous deeds, is Forgiveness, and a magnificent Reward.
8. Is he, then, to whom the evil of his conduct is made alluring, so that he looks upon it as good, (equal to one who is rightly guided)? For Allah leaves to stray whom He wills, and guides whom He wills. So let not thy soul go out in (vainly) sighing after them: for Allah knows well all that they do!
9. It is Allah Who sends forth the Winds, so that they raise up the Clouds, and We drive them to a land that is dead, and revive the earth therewith after its death: even so (will be) the Resurrection!
10. If any do seek for glory and power,- to Allah belong all glory and power. To Him mount up (all) Words of Purity: It is He Who exalts each Deed of Righteousness. Those that lay Plots of Evil,- for them is a Penalty terrible; and the plotting of such will be void (of result).
11. And Allah did create you from dust; then from a sperm-drop; then He made you in pairs. And no female conceives, or lays down (her load), but with His knowledge. Nor is a man long-lived granted length of days, nor is a part cut off from his life, but is in a Decree (ordained). All this is easy to Allah.
12. Nor are the two bodies of flowing water alike,- the one palatable, sweet, and pleasant to drink, and the other, salt and bitter. Yet from each (kind of water) do ye eat flesh fresh and tender, and ye extract ornaments to wear; and thou seest the ships therein that plough the waves, that ye may seek (thus) of the Bounty of Allah that ye may be grateful.
13. He merges Night into Day, and he merges Day into Night, and he has subjected the sun and the moon (to his Law): each one runs its course for a term appointed. Such is Allah your Lord: to Him belongs all Dominion. And those whom ye invoke besides Him have not the least power.
14. If ye invoke them, they will not listen to your call, and if they were to listen, they cannot answer your (prayer). On the Day of Judgment they will reject your "Partnership". and none, (O man!) can tell thee (the Truth) like the One Who is acquainted with all things.
15. O ye men! It is ye that have need of Allah. but Allah is the One Free of all wants, worthy of all praise.
16. If He so pleased, He could blot you out and bring in a New Creation.
17. Nor is that (at all) difficult for Allah.
18. Nor can a bearer of burdens bear another's burdens if one heavily laden should call another to (bear) his load. Not the least portion of it can be carried (by the other). Even though he be nearly related. Thou canst but admonish such as fear their Lord unseen and establish regular Prayer. And whoever purifies himself does so for the benefit of his own soul; and the destination (of all) is to Allah.
19. The blind and the seeing are not alike;
20. Nor are the depths of Darkness and the Light;
21. Nor are the (chilly) shade and the (genial) heat of the sun:
22. Nor are alike those that are living and those that are dead. Allah can make any that He wills to hear; but thou canst not make those to hear who are (buried) in graves.
23. Thou art no other than a warner.
24. Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past).
25. And if they reject thee, so did their predecessors, to whom came their apostles with Clear Signs, Books of dark prophecies, and the Book of Enlightenment.
26. In the end did I punish those who rejected Faith: and how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)!
27. Seest thou not that Allah sends down rain from the sky? With it We then bring out produce of various colours. And in the mountains are tracts white and red, of various shades of colour, and black intense in hue.
28. And so amongst men and crawling creatures and cattle, are they of various colours. Those truly fear Allah, among His Servants, who have knowledge: for Allah is Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving.
29. Those who rehearse the Book of Allah, establish regular Prayer, and spend (in Charity) out of what We have provided for them, secretly and openly, hope for a commerce that will never fail:
30. For He will pay them their meed, nay, He will give them (even) more out of His Bounty: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate (service).
31. That which We have revealed to thee of the Book is the Truth,- confirming what was (revealed) before it: for Allah is assuredly- with respect to His Servants - well acquainted and Fully Observant.
32. Then We have given the Book for inheritance to such of Our Servants as We have chosen: but there are among them some who wrong their own souls; some who follow a middle course; and some who are, by Allah.s leave, foremost in good deeds; that is the highest Grace.
34. And they will say: "Praise be to Allah, Who has removed from us (all) sorrow: for our Lord is indeed Oft-Forgiving Ready to appreciate (service):
35. "Who has, out of His Bounty, settled us in a Home that will last: no toil nor sense of weariness shall touch us therein."
36. But those who reject ((Allah)) - for them will be the Fire of Hell: No term shall be determined for them, so they should die, nor shall its Penalty be lightened for them. Thus do We reward every ungrateful one!
37. Therein will they cry aloud (for assistance): "Our Lord! Bring us out: we shall work righteousness, not the (deeds) we used to do!" - "Did We not give you long enough life so that he that would should receive admonition? and (moreover) the warner came to you. So taste ye (the fruits of your deeds): for the wrong-doers there is no helper."
38. Verily Allah knows (all) the hidden things of the heavens and the earth: verily He has full knowledge of all that is in (men's) hearts.
39. He it is That has made you inheritors in the earth: if, then, any do reject ((Allah)), their rejection (works) against themselves: their rejection but adds to the odium for the Unbelievers in the sight of their Lord: their rejection but adds to (their own) undoing.
40. Say: "Have ye seen (these) 'Partners' of yours whom ye call upon besides Allah. Show Me what it is they have created in the (wide) earth. Or have they a share in the heavens? Or have We given them a Book from which they (can derive) clear (evidence)?- Nay, the wrong-doers promise each other nothing but delusions.
41. It is Allah Who sustains the heavens and the earth, lest they cease (to function): and if they should fail, there is none - not one - can sustain them thereafter: Verily He is Most Forbearing, Oft-Forgiving.
42. They swore their strongest oaths by Allah that if a warner came to them, they would follow his guidance better than any (other) of the Peoples: But when a warner came to them, it has only increased their flight (from righteousness),-
43. On account of their arrogance in the land and their plotting of Evil, but the plotting of Evil will hem in only the authors thereof. Now are they but looking for the way the ancients were dealt with? But no change wilt thou find in Allah.s way (of dealing): no turning off wilt thou find in Allah.s way (of dealing).
44. Do they not travel through the earth, and see what was the End of those before them,- though they were superior to them in strength? Nor is Allah to be frustrated by anything whatever in the heavens or on earth: for He is All-Knowing. All-Powerful.
45. If Allah were to punish men according to what they deserve. He would not leave on the back of the (earth) a single living creature: but He gives them respite for a stated Term: when their Term expires, verily Allah has in His sight all His Servants.
1. Ya Sin.
2. By the Qur'an, full of Wisdom,-
3. Thou art indeed one of the apostles,
4. On a
5. It is a Revelation sent down by (Him), the Exalted in Might, Most Merciful.
6. In order that thou mayest admonish a people, whose fathers had received no admonition, and who therefore remain heedless (of the Signs of Allah..
7. The Word is proved true against the greater part of them: for they do not believe.
8. We have put yokes round their necks right up to their chins, so that their heads are forced up (and they cannot see).
9. And We have put a bar in front of them and a bar behind them, and further, We have covered them up; so that they cannot see.
10. The same is it to them whether thou admonish them or thou do not admonish them: they will not believe.
11. Thou canst but admonish such a one as follows the Message and fears the (Lord) Most Gracious, unseen: give such a one, therefore, good tidings, of Forgiveness and a Reward most generous.
12. Verily We shall give life to the dead, and We record that which they send before and that which they leave behind, and of all things have We taken account in a clear Book (of evidence).
13. Set forth to them, by way of a parable, the (story of) the Companions of the City. Behold!, there came apostles to it.
14. When We (first) sent to them two apostles, they rejected them: But We strengthened them with a third: they said, "Truly, we have been sent on a mission to you."
15. The (people) said: "Ye are only men like ourselves; and ((Allah)) Most Gracious sends no sort of revelation: ye do nothing but lie."
16. They said: "Our Lord doth know that we have been sent on a mission to you:
17. "And our duty is only to proclaim the clear Message."
18. The (people) said: "for us, we augur an evil omen from you: if ye desist not, we will certainly stone you. And a grievous punishment indeed will be inflicted on you by us."
19. They said: "Your evil omens are with yourselves: (deem ye this an evil omen). If ye are admonished? Nay, but ye are a people transgressing all bounds!"
20. Then there came running, from the farthest part of the City, a man, saying, "O my people! Obey the apostles:
21. "Obey those who ask no reward of you (for themselves), and who have themselves received Guidance.
22. "It would not be reasonable in me if I did not serve Him Who created me, and to Whom ye shall (all) be brought back.
23. "Shall I take (other) gods besides Him? If ((Allah)) Most Gracious should intend some adversity for me, of no use whatever will be their intercession for me, nor can they deliver me.
24. "I would indeed, if I were to do so, be in manifest Error.
25. "For me, I have faith in the Lord of you (all): listen, then, to me!"
26. It was said: "Enter thou the Garden." He said: "Ah me! Would that my People knew (what I know)!-
27. "For that my Lord has granted me Forgiveness and has enrolled me among those held in honour!"
28. And We sent not down against his People, after him, any hosts from heaven, nor was it needful for Us so to do.
29. It was no more than a single mighty Blast, and behold! they were (like ashes) quenched and silent.
30. Ah! Alas for (My) Servants! There comes not an apostle to them but they mock him!
31. See they not how many generations before them we destroyed? Not to them will they return:
32. But each one of them all - will be brought before Us (for judgment).
33. A Sign for them is the earth that is dead: We do give it life, and produce grain therefrom, of which ye do eat.
34. And We produce therein orchard with date-palms and vines, and We cause springs to gush forth therein:
35. That they may enjoy the fruits of this (artistry): It was not their hands that made this: will they not then give thanks?
36. Glory to Allah, Who created in pairs all things that the earth produces, as well as their own (human) kind and (other) things of which they have no knowledge.
37. And a Sign for them is the Night: We withdraw therefrom the Day, and behold they are plunged in darkness;
38. And the sun runs his course for a period determined for him: that is the decree of (Him), the Exalted in Might, the All-Knowing.
39. And the Moon,- We have measured for her mansions (to traverse) till she returns like the old (and withered) lower part of a date-stalk.
40. It is not permitted to the Sun to catch up the Moon, nor can the Night outstrip the Day: Each (just) swims along in (its own) orbit (according to Law).
41. And a Sign for them is that We bore their race
(through the Flood) in the loaded
42. And We have created for them similar (vessels) on which they ride.
43. If it were Our Will, We could drown them: then would there be no helper (to hear their cry), nor could they be delivered,
44. Except by way of Mercy from Us, and by way of (world) convenience (to serve them) for a time.
45. When they are told, "Fear ye that which is before you and that which will be after you, in order that ye may receive Mercy," (they turn back).
46. Not a Sign comes to them from among the Signs of their Lord, but they turn away therefrom.
47. And when they are told, "Spend ye of (the bounties) with which Allah has provided you," the Unbelievers say to those who believe: "Shall we then feed those whom, if Allah had so willed, He would have fed, (Himself)?- Ye are in nothing but manifest error."
48. Further, they say, "When will this promise (come to pass), if what ye say is true?"
49. They will not (have to) wait for aught but a single Blast: it will seize them while they are yet disputing among themselves!
50. No (chance) will they then have, by will, to dispose (of their affairs), nor to return to their own people!
51. The trumpet shall be sounded, when behold! from the sepulchres (men) will rush forth to their Lord!
52. They will say: "Ah! Woe unto us! Who hath raised us up from our beds of repose?"... (A voice will say:) "This is what ((Allah)) Most Gracious had promised. And true was the word of the apostles!"
53. It will be no more than a single Blast, when lo! they will all be brought up before Us!
54. Then, on that Day, not a soul will be wronged in the least, and ye shall but be repaid the meeds of your past Deeds.
55. Verily the Companions of the Garden shall that Day have joy in all that they do;
56. They and their associates will be in groves of (cool) shade, reclining on Thrones (of dignity);
57. (Every) fruit (enjoyment) will be there for them; they shall have whatever they call for;
58. "Peace!" - a word (of salutation) from a Lord Most Merciful!
59. "And O ye in sin! Get ye apart this Day!
60. "Did I not enjoin on you, O ye Children of Adam, that ye should not worship Satan; for that he was to you an enemy avowed?-
61. "And that ye should worship Me, (for that)
this was the
62. "But he did lead astray a great multitude of you. Did ye not, then, understand?
63. "This is the Hell of which ye were (repeatedly) warned!
64. "Embrace ye the (fire) this Day, for that ye (persistently) rejected (Truth)."
65. That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.
66. If it had been our Will, We could surely have blotted out their eyes; then should they have run about groping for the Path, but how could they have seen?
67. And if it had been Our Will, We could have transformed them (to remain) in their places; then should they have been unable to move about, nor could they have returned (after error).
68. If We grant long life to any, We cause him to be reversed in nature: Will they not then understand?
69. We have not instructed the (Prophet) in Poetry, nor is it meet for him: this is no less than a Message and a Qur'an making things clear:
70. That it may give admonition to any (who are) alive, and that the charge may be proved against those who reject (Truth).
71. See they not that it is We Who have created for them - among the things which Our hands have fashioned - cattle, which are under their dominion?-
72. And that We have subjected them to their (use)? of them some do carry them and some they eat:
73. And they have (other) profits from them (besides), and they get (milk) to drink. Will they not then be grateful?
74. Yet they take (for worship) gods other than Allah, (hoping) that they might be helped!
75. They have not the power to help them: but they will be brought up (before Our Judgment-seat) as a troop (to be condemned).
76. Let not their speech, then, grieve thee. Verily We know what they hide as well as what they disclose.
77. Doth not man see that it is We Who created him from sperm? yet behold! he (stands forth) as an open adversary!
78. And he makes comparisons for Us, and forgets his own (origin and) Creation: He says, "Who can give life to (dry) bones and decomposed ones (at that)?"
79. Say, "He will give them life Who created them for the first time! for He is Well-versed in every kind of creation!-
80. "The same Who produces for you fire out of the green tree, when behold! ye kindle therewith (your own fires)!
81. "Is not He Who created the heavens and the earth able to create the like thereof?" - Yea, indeed! for He is the Creator Supreme, of skill and knowledge (infinite)!
82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is!
83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will ye be all brought back.
1. By those who range themselves in ranks,
2. And so are strong in repelling (evil),
3. And thus proclaim the Message (of Allah.!
4. Verily, verily, your Allah is one!-
5. Lord of the heavens and of the earth and all between them, and Lord of every point at the rising of the sun!
6. We have indeed decked the lower heaven with beauty (in) the stars,-
7. (For beauty) and for guard against all obstinate rebellious evil spirits,
8. (So) they should not strain their ears in the direction of the Exalted Assembly but be cast away from every side,
9. Repulsed, for they are under a perpetual penalty,
10. Except such as snatch away something by stealth, and they are pursued by a flaming fire, of piercing brightness.
11. Just ask their opinion: are they the more difficult to create, or the (other) beings We have created? Them have We created out of a sticky clay!
12. Truly dost thou marvel, while they ridicule,
13. And, when they are admonished, pay no heed,-
14. And, when they see a Sign, turn it to mockery,
15. And say, "This is nothing but evident sorcery!
16. "What! when we die, and become dust and bones, shall we (then) be raised up (again)
17. "And also our fathers of old?"
18. Say thou: "Yea, and ye shall then be humiliated (on account of your evil)."
19. Then it will be a single (compelling) cry; and behold, they will begin to see!
20. They will say, "Ah! Woe to us! This is the Day of Judgment!"
21. (A voice will say,) "This is the Day of Sorting Out, whose truth ye (once) denied!"
22. "Bring ye up", it shall be said, "The wrong-doers and their wives, and the things they worshipped-
23. "Besides Allah, and lead them to the Way to the (Fierce) Fire!
24. "But stop them, for they must be asked:
25. "'What is the matter with you that ye help not each other?'"
26. Nay, but that day they shall submit (to Judgment);
27. And they will turn to one another, and question one another.
28. They will say: "It was ye who used to come to us from the right hand (of power and authority)!"
29. They will reply: "Nay, ye yourselves had no Faith!
30. "Nor had we any authority over you. Nay, it was ye who were a people in obstinate rebellion!
31. "So now has been proved true, against us, the word of our Lord that we shall indeed (have to) taste (the punishment of our sins).
32. "We led you astray: for truly we were ourselves astray."
33. Truly, that Day, they will (all) share in the Penalty.
34. Verily that is how We shall deal with Sinners.
35. For they, when they were told that there is no god except Allah, would puff themselves up with Pride,
36. And say: "What! shall we give up our gods for the sake of a Poet possessed?"
37. Nay! he has come with the (very) Truth, and he confirms (the Message of) the apostles (before him).
38. Ye shall indeed taste of the Grievous Penalty;-
39. But it will be no more than the retribution of (the Evil) that ye have wrought;-
40. But the sincere (and devoted) Servants of Allah,-
41. For them is a Sustenance determined,
42. Fruits (Delights); and they (shall enjoy) honour and dignity,
43. In Gardens of Felicity,
44. Facing each other on Thrones (of Dignity):
45. Round will be passed to them a Cup from a clear-flowing fountain,
46. Crystal-white, of a taste delicious to those who drink (thereof),
47. Free from headiness; nor will they suffer intoxication therefrom.
48. And besides them will be chaste women, restraining their glances, with big eyes (of wonder and beauty).
49. As if they were (delicate) eggs closely guarded.
50. Then they will turn to one another and question one another.
51. One of them will start the talk and say: "I had an intimate companion (on the earth),
52. "Who used to say, 'what! art thou amongst those who bear witness to the Truth (of the Message)?
53. "'When we die and become dust and bones, shall we indeed receive rewards and punishments?'"
54. (A voice) said: "Would ye like to look down?"
55. He looked down and saw him in the midst of the Fire.
56. He said: "By Allah. thou wast little short of bringing me to perdition!
57. "Had it not been for the Grace of my Lord, I should certainly have been among those brought (there)!
58. "Is it (the case) that we shall not die,
59. "Except our first death, and that we shall not be punished?"
60. Verily this is the supreme achievement!
61. For the like of this let all strive, who wish to strive.
62. Is that the better entertainment or the Tree of Zaqqum?
63. For We have truly made it (as) a trial for the wrong-doers.
64. For it is a tree that springs out of the bottom of Hell-Fire:
65. The shoots of its fruit-stalks are like the heads of devils:
66. Truly they will eat thereof and fill their bellies therewith.
67. Then on top of that they will be given a mixture made of boiling water.
68. Then shall their return be to the (Blazing) Fire.
69. Truly they found their fathers on the wrong Path;
70. So they (too) were rushed down on their footsteps!
71. And truly before them, many of the ancients went astray;-
72. But We sent aforetime, among them, (apostles) to admonish them;-
73. Then see what was the end of those who were admonished (but heeded not),-
74. Except the sincere (and devoted) Servants of Allah.
75. (In the days of old), Noah cried to Us, and We are the best to hear prayer.
76. And We delivered him and his people from the Great Calamity,
77. And made his progeny to endure (on this earth);
78. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations to come in later times:
79. "Peace and salutation to Noah among the nations!"
80. Thus indeed do we reward those who do right.
81. For he was one of our believing Servants.
82. Then the rest we overwhelmed in the Flood.
83. Verily among those who followed his Way was Abraham.
84. Behold! he approached his Lord with a sound heart.
85. Behold! he said to his father and to his people, "What is that which ye worship?
86. "Is it a falsehood- gods other than Allah. that ye desire?
87. "Then what is your idea about the Lord of the worlds?"
88. Then did he cast a glance at the Stars.
89. And he said, "I am indeed sick (at heart)!"
90. So they turned away from him, and departed.
91. Then did he turn to their gods and said, "will ye not eat (of the offerings before you)?...
92. "What is the matter with you that ye speak not (intelligently)?"
93. Then did he turn upon them, striking (them) with the right hand.
94. Then came (the worshippers) with hurried steps, and faced (him).
95. He said: "Worship ye that which ye have (yourselves) carved?
96. "But Allah has created you and your handwork!"
97. They said, "Build him a furnace, and throw him into the blazing fire!"
98. (This failing), they then sought a stratagem against him, but We made them the ones most humiliated!
99. He said: "I will go to my Lord! He will surely guide me!
100. "O my Lord! Grant me a righteous (son)!"
101. So We gave him the good news of a boy ready to suffer and forbear.
102. Then, when (the son) reached (the age of) (serious) work with him, he said: "O my son! I see in vision that I offer thee in sacrifice: Now see what is thy view!" (The son) said: "O my father! Do as thou art commanded: thou will find me, if Allah so wills one practising Patience and Constancy!"
103. So when they had both submitted their wills (to Allah., and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (for sacrifice),
104. We called out to him "O Abraham!
105. "Thou hast already fulfilled the vision!" - thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
106. For this was obviously a trial-
107. And We ransomed him with a momentous sacrifice:
108. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations (to come) in later times:
109. "Peace and salutation to Abraham!"
110. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
111. For he was one of our believing Servants.
112. And We gave him the good news of Isaac - a prophet,- one of the Righteous.
113. We blessed him and Isaac: but of their progeny are (some) that do right, and (some) that obviously do wrong, to their own souls.
114. Again (of old) We bestowed Our favour on Moses and Aaron,
115. And We delivered them and their people from (their) Great Calamity;
116. And We helped them, so they overcame (their troubles);
117. And We gave them the Book which helps to make things clear;
118. And We guided them to the
119. And We left (this blessing) for them among generations (to come) in later times:
120. "Peace and salutation to Moses and Aaron!"
121. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
122. For they were two of our believing Servants.
123. So also was Elias among those sent (by Us).
124. Behold, he said to his people, "Will ye not fear ((Allah))?
125. "Will ye call upon Baal and forsake the Best of Creators,-
126. "(Allah), your Lord and Cherisher and the Lord and Cherisher of your fathers of old?"
127. But they rejected him, and they will certainly be called up (for punishment),-
128. Except the sincere and devoted Servants of Allah (among them).
129. And We left (this blessing) for him among generations (to come) in later times:
130. "Peace and salutation to such as Elias!"
131. Thus indeed do We reward those who do right.
132. For he was one of our believing Servants.
133. So also was Lut among those sent (by Us).
134. Behold, We delivered him and his adherents, all
135. Except an old woman who was among those who lagged behind:
136. Then We destroyed the rest.
137. Verily, ye pass by their (sites), by day-
138. And by night: will ye not understand?
139. So also was Jonah among those sent (by Us).
140. When he ran away (like a slave from captivity) to the ship (fully) laden,
141. He (agreed to) cast lots, and he was condemned:
142. Then the big Fish did swallow him, and he had done acts worthy of blame.
143. Had it not been that he (repented and) glorified Allah,
144. He would certainly have remained inside the Fish till the Day of Resurrection.
145. But We cast him forth on the naked shore in a state of sickness,
146. And We caused to grow, over him, a spreading plant of the gourd kind.
147. And We sent him (on a mission) to a hundred thousand (men) or more.
148. And they believed; so We permitted them to enjoy (their life) for a while.
149. Now ask them their opinion: Is it that thy Lord has (only) daughters, and they have sons?-
150. Or that We created the angels female, and they are witnesses (thereto)?
151. Is it not that they say, from their own invention,
152. "(Allah) has begotten children"? but they are liars!
153. Did He (then) choose daughters rather than sons?
154. What is the matter with you? How judge ye?
155. Will ye not then receive admonition?
156. Or have ye an authority manifest?
157. Then bring ye your Book (of authority) if ye be truthful!
158. And they have invented a blood-relationship between Him and the Jinns: but the Jinns know (quite well) that they have indeed to appear (before his Judgment- Seat)!
159. Glory to Allah. (He is free) from the things they ascribe (to Him)!
160. Not (so do) the Servants of Allah, sincere and devoted.
161. For, verily, neither ye nor those ye worship-
162. Can lead (any) into temptation concerning Allah,
163. Except such as are (themselves) going to the blazing Fire!
164. (Those ranged in ranks say): "Not one of us but has a place appointed;
165. "And we are verily ranged in ranks (for service);
166. "And we are verily those who declare ((Allah)'s) glory!"
167. And there were those who said,
168. "If only we had had before us a Message from those of old,
169. "We should certainly have been Servants of Allah, sincere (and devoted)!"
170. But (now that the Qur'an has come), they reject it: But soon will they know!
171. Already has Our Word been passed before (this) to our Servants sent (by Us),
172. That they would certainly be assisted,
173. And that Our forces,- they surely must conquer.
174. So turn thou away from them for a little while,
175. And watch them (how they fare), and they soon shall see (how thou farest)!
176. Do they wish (indeed) to hurry on our Punishment?
177. But when it descends into the open space before them, evil will be the morning for those who were warned (and heeded not)!
178. So turn thou away from them for a little while,
179. And watch (how they fare) and they soon shall see (how thou farest)!
180. Glory to thy Lord, the Lord of Honour and Power! (He is free) from what they ascribe (to Him)!
181. And Peace on the apostles!
182. And Praise to Allah, the Lord and Cherisher of the Worlds.
1. Sad: By the Qur'an, Full of Admonition: (This is the Truth).
2. But the Unbelievers (are steeped) in self-glory and Separatism.
3. How many generations before them did We destroy? In the end they cried (for mercy)- when there was no longer time for being saved!
4. So they wonder that a Warner has come to them from among themselves! and the Unbelievers say, "This is a sorcerer telling lies!
5. "Has he made the gods (all) into one Allah. Truly this is a wonderful thing!"
6. And the leader among them go away (impatiently), (saying), "Walk ye away, and remain constant to your gods! For this is truly a thing designed (against you)!
7. "We never heard (the like) of this among the people of these latter days: this is nothing but a made-up tale!"
8. "What! has the Message been sent to him - (Of all persons) among us?"...but they are in doubt concerning My (Own) Message! Nay, they have not yet tasted My Punishment!
9. Or have they the treasures of the mercy of thy Lord,- the Exalted in Power, the Grantor of Bounties without measure?
10. Or have they the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all between? If so, let them mount up with the ropes and means (to reach that end)!
11. But there - will be put to flight even a host of confederates.
12. Before them (were many who) rejected apostles,- the people of Noah, and 'Ad, and Pharaoh, the Lord of Stakes,
13. And Thamud, and the people of Lut, and the Companions of the Wood; - such were the Confederates.
14. Not one (of them) but rejected the apostles, but My punishment came justly and inevitably (on them).
15. These (today) only wait for a single mighty Blast, which (when it comes) will brook no delay.
16. They say: "Our Lord! hasten to us our sentence (even) before the Day of Account!"
17. Have patience at what they say, and remember our servant David, the man of strength: for he ever turned (to Allah..
18. It was We that made the hills declare, in unison with him, Our Praises, at eventide and at break of day,
19. And the birds gathered (in assemblies): all with him did turn (to Allah..
20. We strengthened his kingdom, and gave him wisdom and sound judgment in speech and decision.
21. Has the Story of the Disputants reached thee? Behold, they climbed over the wall of the private chamber;
22. When they entered the presence of David, and he was terrified of them, they said: "Fear not: we are two disputants, one of whom has wronged the other: Decide now between us with truth, and treat us not with injustice, but guide us to the even Path..
23. "This man is my brother: He has nine and ninety ewes, and I have (but) one: Yet he says, 'commit her to my care,' and is (moreover) harsh to me in speech."
24. (David) said: "He has undoubtedly wronged thee in demanding thy (single) ewe to be added to his (flock of) ewes: truly many are the partners (in business) who wrong each other: Not so do those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and how few are they?"...and David gathered that We had tried him: he asked forgiveness of his Lord, fell down, bowing (in prostration), and turned (to Allah in repentance).
25. So We forgave him this (lapse): he enjoyed, indeed, a Near Approach to Us, and a beautiful place of (Final) Return.
26. O David! We did indeed make thee a vicegerent on earth: so judge thou between men in truth (and justice): Nor follow thou the lusts (of thy heart), for they will mislead thee from the Path of Allah. for those who wander astray from the Path of Allah, is a Penalty Grievous, for that they forget the Day of Account.
27. Not without purpose did We create heaven and earth and all between! that were the thought of Unbelievers! but woe to the Unbelievers because of the Fire (of Hell)!
28. Shall We treat those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, the same as those who do mischief on earth? Shall We treat those who guard against evil, the same as those who turn aside from the right?
29. (Here is) a Book which We have sent down unto thee, full of blessings, that they may mediate on its Signs, and that men of understanding may receive admonition.
30. To David We gave Solomon (for a son),- How excellent in Our service! Ever did he turn (to Us)!
31. Behold, there were brought before him, at eventide coursers of the highest breeding, and swift of foot;
32. And he said, "Truly do I love the love of good, with a view to the glory of my Lord,"- until (the sun) was hidden in the veil (of night):
33. "Bring them back to
34. And We did try Solomon: We placed on his throne a body (without life); but he did turn (to Us in true devotion):
35. He said, "O my Lord! Forgive me, and grant me a kingdom which, (it may be), suits not another after me: for Thou art the Grantor of Bounties (without measure).
36. Then We subjected the wind to his power, to flow gently to his order, Whithersoever he willed,-
37. As also the evil ones, (including) every kind of builder and diver,-
38. As also others bound together in fetters.
39. "Such are Our Bounties: whether thou bestow them (on others) or withhold them, no account will be asked."
40. And he enjoyed, indeed, a Near Approach to Us, and a beautiful Place of (Final) Return.
41. Commemorate Our Servant Job. Behold he cried to his Lord: "The Evil One has afflicted me with distress and suffering!"
42. (The command was given:) "Strike with thy foot: here is (water) wherein to wash, cool and refreshing, and (water) to drink."
43. And We gave him (back) his people, and doubled their number,- as a Grace from Ourselves, and a thing for commemoration, for all who have Understanding.
44. "And take in thy hand a little grass, and strike therewith: and break not (thy oath)." Truly We found him full of patience and constancy. How excellent in Our service! ever did he turn (to Us)!
45. And commemorate Our Servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, possessors of Power and Vision.
46. Verily We did choose them for a special (purpose)- proclaiming the Message of the Hereafter.
47. They were, in Our sight, truly, of the company of the Elect and the Good.
48. And commemorate Isma'il, Elisha, and Zul-Kifl: Each of them was of the Company of the Good.
49. This is a Message (of admonition): and verily, for the righteous, is a beautiful Place of (Final) Return,-
50. Gardens of Eternity, whose doors will (ever) be open to them;
51. Therein will they recline (at ease): Therein can they call (at pleasure) for fruit in abundance, and (delicious) drink;
52. And beside them will be chaste women restraining their glances, (companions) of equal age.
53. Such is the Promise made, to you for the Day of Account!
54. Truly such will be Our Bounty (to you); it will never fail;-
55. Yea, such! but - for the wrong-doers will be an evil place of (Final) Return!-
56. Hell!- they will burn therein, - an evil bed (indeed, to lie on)!-
57. Yea, such! - then shall they taste it,- a boiling fluid, and a fluid dark, murky, intensely cold!-
58. And other Penalties of a similar kind, to match them!
59. Here is a troop rushing headlong with you! No welcome for them! truly, they shall burn in the Fire!
60. (The followers shall cry to the misleaders:) "Nay, ye (too)! No welcome for you! It is ye who have brought this upon us! Now evil is (this) place to stay in!"
61. They will say: "Our Lord! whoever brought this upon us,- Add to him a double Penalty in the Fire!"
62. And they will say: "What has happened to us that we see not men whom we used to number among the bad ones?
63. "Did we treat them (as such) in ridicule, or have (our) eyes failed to perceive them?"
64. Truly that is just and fitting,- the mutual recriminations of the People of the Fire!
65. Say: "Truly am I a Warner: no god is there but the one Allah, Supreme and Irresistible,-
66. "The Lord of the heavens and the earth, and all between,- Exalted in Might, able to enforce His Will, forgiving again and again."
67. Say: "That is a Message Supreme (above all),-
68. "From which ye do turn away!
69. "No knowledge have I of the Chiefs on high, when they discuss (matters) among themselves.
70. 'Only this has been revealed to me: that I am to give warning plainly and publicly."
71. Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I am about to create man from clay:
72. "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him."
73. So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together:
74. Not so Iblis: he was haughty, and became one of those who reject Faith.
75. ((Allah)) said: "O Iblis! What prevents thee from prostrating thyself to one whom I have created with my hands? Art thou haughty? Or art thou one of the high (and mighty) ones?"
76. (Iblis) said: "I am better than he: thou createdst me from fire, and him thou createdst from clay."
77. ((Allah)) said: "Then get thee out from here: for thou art rejected, accursed.
78. "And My curse shall be on thee till the Day of Judgment."
79. (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! Give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are raised."
80. ((Allah)) said: "Respite then is granted thee-
81. "Till the Day of the Time Appointed."
82. (Iblis) said: "Then, by Thy power, I will put them all in the wrong,-
83. "Except Thy Servants amongst them, sincere and purified (by Thy Grace)."
84. ((Allah)) said: "Then it is just and fitting- and I say what is just and fitting-
85. "That I will certainly fill Hell with thee and those that follow thee,- every one."
86. Say: "No reward do I ask of you for this (Qur'an), nor am I a pretender.
87. "This is no less than a Message to (all) the Worlds.
88. "And ye sh
1. The revelation of this Book is from Allah, the Exalted in Power, full of Wisdom.
2. Verily it is We Who have revealed the Book to thee in Truth: so serve Allah, offering Him sincere devotion.
3. Is it not to Allah that sincere devotion is due? But those who take for protectors other than Allah (say): "We only serve them in order that they may bring us nearer to Allah." Truly Allah will judge between them in that wherein they differ. But Allah guides not such as are false and ungrateful.
4. Had Allah wished to take to Himself a son, He could have chosen whom He pleased out of those whom He doth create: but Glory be to Him! (He is above such things.) He is Allah, the One, the Irresistible.
5. He created the heavens and the earth in true (proportions): He makes the Night overlap the Day, and the Day overlap the Night: He has subjected the sun and the moon (to His law): Each one follows a course for a time appointed. Is not He the Exalted in Power - He Who forgives again and again?
6. He created you (all) from a single person: then created, of like nature, his mate; and he sent down for you eight head of cattle in pairs: He makes you, in the wombs of your mothers, in stages, one after another, in three veils of darkness. such is Allah, your Lord and Cherisher: to Him belongs (all) dominion. There is no god but He: then how are ye turned away (from your true Centre)?
7. If ye reject ((Allah)), Truly Allah hath no need of you; but He liketh not ingratitude from His servants: if ye are grateful, He is pleased with you. No bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another. In the end, to your Lord is your Return, when He will tell you the truth of all that ye did (in this life). for He knoweth well all that is in (men's) hearts.
8. When some trouble toucheth man, he crieth unto his Lord, turning to Him in repentance: but when He bestoweth a favour upon him as from Himself, (man) doth forget what he cried and prayed for before, and he doth set up rivals unto Allah, thus misleading others from Allah.s Path. Say, "Enjoy thy blasphemy for a little while: verily thou art (one) of the Companions of the Fire!"
9. Is one who worships devoutly during the hour of the night prostrating himself or standing (in adoration), who takes heed of the Hereafter, and who places his hope in the Mercy of his Lord - (like one who does not)? Say: "Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know? It is those who are endued with understanding that receive admonition.
10. Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is Allah.s earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!"
11. Say: "Verily, I am commanded to serve Allah with sincere devotion;
12. "And I am commanded to be the first of those who bow to Allah in Islam."
13. Say: "I would, if I disobeyed my Lord, indeed have fear of the Penalty of a Mighty Day."
14. Say: "It is Allah I serve, with my sincere (and exclusive) devotion:
15. "Serve ye what ye will besides him." Say: "Truly, those in loss are those who lose their own souls and their People on the Day of Judgment: Ah! that is indeed the (real and) evident Loss!
16. They shall have Layers of Fire above them, and Layers (of Fire) below them: with this doth Allah warn off his servants: "O My Servants! then fear ye Me!"
17. Those who eschew Evil,- and fall not into its worship,- and turn to Allah (in repentance),- for them is Good News: so announce the Good News to My Servants,-
18. Those who listen to the Word, and follow the best (meaning) in it: those are the ones whom Allah has guided, and those are the ones endued with understanding.
19. Is, then, one against whom the decree of Punishment is justly due (equal to one who eschews Evil)? Wouldst thou, then, deliver one (who is) in the Fire?
20. But it is for those who fear their Lord. That lofty mansions, one above another, have been built: beneath them flow rivers (of delight): (such is) the Promise of Allah. never doth Allah fail in (His) promise.
21. Seest thou not that Allah sends down rain from the sky, and leads it through springs in the earth? Then He causes to grow, therewith, produce of various colours: then it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then He makes it dry up and crumble away. Truly, in this, is a Message of remembrance to men of understanding.
22. Is one whose heart Allah has opened to Islam, so that he has received Enlightenment from Allah, (no better than one hard-hearted)? Woe to those whose hearts are hardened against celebrating the praises of Allah. they are manifestly wandering (in error)!
23. Allah has revealed (from time to time) the most beautiful Message in the form of a Book, consistent with itself, (yet) repeating (its teaching in various aspects): the skins of those who fear their Lord tremble thereat; then their skins and their hearts do soften to the celebration of Allah.s praises. Such is the guidance of Allah. He guides therewith whom He pleases, but such as Allah leaves to stray, can have none to guide.
24. Is, then, one who has to fear the brunt of the Penalty on the Day of Judgment (and receive it) on his face, (like one guarded therefrom)? It will be said to the wrong- doers: "Taste ye (the fruits of) what ye earned!"
25. Those before them (also) rejected (revelation), and so the Punishment came to them from directions they did not perceive.
26. So Allah gave them a taste of humiliation in the present life, but greater is the punishment of the Hereafter, if they only knew!
27. We have put forth for men, in this Qur'an every kind of Parable, in order that they may receive admonition.
28. (It is) a Qur'an in Arabic, without any crookedness (therein): in order that they may guard against Evil.
29. Allah puts forth a Parable a man belonging to many partners at variance with each other, and a man belonging entirely to one master: are those two equal in comparison? Praise be to Allah. but most of them have no knowledge.
30. Truly thou wilt die (one day), and truly they (too) will die (one day).
31. In the end will ye (all), on the Day of Judgment, settle your disputes in the presence of your Lord.
32. Who, then, doth more wrong than one who utters a lie concerning Allah, and rejects the Truth when it comes to him; is there not in Hell an abode for blasphemers?
33. And he who brings the Truth and he who confirms (and supports) it - such are the men who do right.
34. They shall have all that they wish for, in the presence of their Lord: such is the reward of those who do good:
35. So that Allah will turn off from them (even) the worst in their deeds and give them their reward according to the best of what they have done.
36. Is not Allah enough for his Servant? But they try to frighten thee with other (gods) besides Him! for such as Allah leaves to stray, there can be no guide.
37. And such as Allah doth guide there can be none to lead astray. Is not Allah Exalted in Power, (Able to enforce His Will), Lord of Retribution?
38. If indeed thou ask them who it is that created the heavens and the earth, they would be sure to say, "(Allah)". Say: "See ye then? the things that ye invoke besides Allah,- can they, if Allah wills some Penalty for me, remove His Penalty?- Or if He wills some Grace for me, can they keep back his Grace?" Say: "Sufficient is Allah for me! In Him trust those who put their trust."
39. Say: "O my People! Do whatever ye can: I will do (my part): but soon will ye know-
40. "Who it is to whom comes a Penalty of ignominy, and on whom descends a Penalty that abides."
41. Verily We have revealed the Book to thee in Truth, for (instructing) mankind. He, then, that receives guidance benefits his own soul: but he that strays injures his own soul. Nor art thou set over them to dispose of their affairs.
42. It is Allah that takes the souls (of men) at death; and those that die not (He takes) during their sleep: those on whom He has passed the decree of death, He keeps back (from returning to life), but the rest He sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed verily in this are Signs for those who reflect.
43. What! Do they take for intercessors others besides Allah. Say: "Even if they have no power whatever and no intelligence?"
44. Say: "To Allah belongs exclusively (the right to grant) intercession: to Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: In the End, it is to Him that ye shall be brought back."
45. When Allah, the One and Only, is mentioned, the hearts of those who believe not in the Hereafter are filled with disgust and horror; but when (gods) other than He are mentioned, behold, they are filled with joy!
46. Say: "O Allah. Creator of the heavens and the earth! Knower of all that is hidden and open! it is Thou that wilt judge between Thy Servants in those matters about which they have differed."
47. Even if the wrong-doers had all that there is on earth, and as much more, (in vain) would they offer it for ransom from the pain of the Penalty on the Day of Judgment: but something will confront them from Allah, which they could never have counted upon!
48. For the evils of their Deeds will confront them, and they will be (completely) encircled by that which they used to mock at!
49. Now, when trouble touches man, he cries to Us: But when We bestow a favour upon him as from Ourselves, he says, "This has been given to me because of a certain knowledge (I have)!" Nay, but this is but a trial, but most of them understand not!
50. Thus did the (generations) before them say! But all that they did was of no profit to them.
51. Nay, the evil results of their Deeds overtook them. And the wrong-doers of this (generation)- the evil results of their Deeds will soon overtake them (too), and they will never be able to frustrate (Our Plan)!
52. Know they not that Allah enlarges the provision or restricts it, for any He pleases? Verily, in this are Signs for those who believe!
53. Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
54. "Turn ye to our Lord (in repentance) and bow to His (Will), before the Penalty comes on you: after that ye shall not be helped.
55. "And follow the best of (the courses) revealed to you from your Lord, before the Penalty comes on you - of a sudden while ye perceive not!-
56. "Lest the soul should (then) say: 'Ah! Woe is me!- In that I neglected (my duty) towards Allah, and was but among those who mocked!'-
57. "Or (lest) it should say: 'If only Allah had guided me, I should certainly have been among the righteous!'-
58. "Or (lest) it should say when it (actually) sees the penalty: 'If only I had another chance, I should certainly be among those who do good!'
59. "(The reply will be:) 'Nay, but there came to thee my Signs, and thou didst reject them: thou wast Haughty, and became one of those who reject faith!'"
60. On the Day of Judgment wilt thou see those who told lies against Allah.- their faces will be turned black; Is there not in Hell an abode for the Haughty?
61. But Allah will deliver the righteous to their place of salvation: no evil shall touch them, nor shall they grieve.
62. Allah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Guardian and Disposer of all affairs.
63. To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth: and those who reject the Signs of Allah,- it is they who will be in loss.
64. Say: "Is it some one other than Allah that ye order me to worship, O ye ignorant ones?"
65. But it has already been revealed to thee,- as it was to those before thee,- "If thou wert to join (gods with Allah., truly fruitless will be thy work (in life), and thou wilt surely be in the ranks of those who lose (all spiritual good)".
66. Nay, but worship Allah, and be of those who give thanks.
67. No just estimate have they made of Allah, such as is due to Him: On the Day of Judgment the whole of the earth will be but His handful, and the heavens will be rolled up in His right hand: Glory to Him! High is He above the Partners they attribute to Him!
68. The Trumpet will (just) be sounded, when all that are in the heavens and on earth will swoon, except such as it will please Allah (to exempt). Then will a second one be sounded, when, behold, they will be standing and looking on!
69. And the Earth will shine with the Glory of its Lord: the Record (of Deeds) will be placed (open); the prophets and the witnesses will be brought forward and a just decision pronounced between them; and they will not be wronged (in the least).
70. And to every soul will be paid in full (the fruit) of its Deeds; and ((Allah)) knoweth best all that they do.
71. The Unbelievers will be led to Hell in crowd: until, when they arrive, there, its gates will be opened. And its keepers will say, "Did not apostles come to you from among yourselves, rehearsing to you the Signs of your Lord, and warning you of the Meeting of This Day of yours?" The answer will be: "True: but the Decree of Punishment has been proved true against the Unbelievers!"
72. (To them) will be said: "Enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) Abode of the Arrogant!"
73. And those who feared their Lord will be led to the Garden in crowds: until behold, they arrive there; its gates will be opened; and its keepers will say: "Peace be upon you! well have ye done! enter ye here, to dwell therein."
74. They will say: "Praise be to Allah, Who has truly fulfilled His Promise to us, and has given us (this) land in heritage: We can dwell in the Garden as we will: how excellent a reward for those who work (righteousness)!"
75. And thou wilt see the angels surrounding the Throne (Divine) on all sides, singing Glory and Praise to their Lord. The Decision between them (at Judgment) will be in (perfect) justice, and the cry (on all sides) will be, "Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!"
1. Ha Mim
2. The revelation of this Book is from Allah, Exalted in Power, Full of Knowledge,-
3. Who forgiveth sin, accepteth repentance, is strict in punishment, and hath a long reach (in all things). there is no god but He: to Him is the final goal.
4. None can dispute about the Signs of Allah but the Unbelievers. Let not, then, their strutting about through the land deceive thee!
5. But (there were people) before them, who denied (the Signs),- the People of Noah, and the Confederates (of Evil) after them; and every People plotted against their prophet, to seize him, and disputed by means of vanities, therewith to condemn the Truth; but it was I that seized them! and how (terrible) was My Requital!
6. Thus was the Decree of thy Lord proved true against the Unbelievers; that truly they are Companions of the Fire!
7. Those who sustain the Throne (of Allah. and those around it Sing Glory and Praise to their Lord; believe in Him; and implore Forgiveness for those who believe: "Our Lord! Thy Reach is over all things, in Mercy and Knowledge. Forgive, then, those who turn in Repentance, and follow Thy Path; and preserve them from the Penalty of the Blazing Fire!
8. "And grant, our Lord! that they enter the Gardens of Eternity, which Thou hast promised to them, and to the righteous among their fathers, their wives, and their posterity! For Thou art (He), the Exalted in Might, Full of Wisdom.
9. "And preserve them from (all) ills; and any whom Thou dost preserve from ills that Day,- on them wilt Thou have bestowed Mercy indeed: and that will be truly (for them) the highest Achievement".
10. The Unbelievers will be addressed: "Greater was the aversion of Allah to you than (is) your aversion to yourselves, seeing that ye were called to the Faith and ye used to refuse."
11. They will say: "Our Lord! twice hast Thou made us without life, and twice hast Thou given us Life! Now have we recognised our sins: Is there any way out (of this)?"
12. (The answer will be:) "This is because, when Allah was invoked as the Only (object of worship), ye did reject Faith, but when partners were joined to Him, ye believed! the Command is with Allah, Most High, Most Great!"
13. He it is Who showeth you his Signs, and sendeth down sustenance for you from the sky: but only those receive admonition who turn (to Allah..
14. Call ye, then, upon Allah with sincere devotion to Him, even though the Unbelievers may detest it.
15. Raised high above ranks (or degrees), (He is) the Lord of the Throne (of Authority): by His Command doth He send the Spirit (of inspiration) to any of His servants he pleases, that it may warn (men) of the Day of Mutual Meeting,-
16. The Day whereon they will (all) come forth: not a single thing concerning them is hidden from Allah. Whose will be the dominion that Day?" That of Allah, the One the Irresistible!
17. That Day will every soul be requited for what it earned; no injustice will there be that Day, for Allah is Swift in taking account.
18. Warn them of the Day that is (ever) drawing near, when the hearts will (come) right up to the throats to choke (them); No intimate friend nor intercessor will the wrong-doers have, who could be listened to.
19. ((Allah)) knows of (the tricks) that deceive with the eyes, and all that the hearts (of men) conceal.
20. And Allah will judge with (justice and) Truth: but those whom (men) invoke besides Him, will not (be in a position) to judge at all. Verily it is Allah (alone) Who hears and sees (all things).
21. Do they not travel through the earth and see what was the End of those before them? They were even superior to them in strength, and in the traces (they have left) in the land: but Allah did call them to account for their sins, and none had they to defend them against Allah.
22. That was because there came to them their apostles with Clear (Signs), but they rejected them: So Allah called them to account: for He is Full of Strength, Strict in Punishment.
23. Of old We sent Moses, with Our Signs and an authority manifest,
24. To Pharaoh, Haman, and Qarun; but they called (him)" a sorcerer telling lies!"...
25. Now, when he came to them in Truth, from Us, they said, "Slay the sons of those who believe with him, and keep alive their females," but the plots of Unbelievers (end) in nothing but errors (and delusions)!...
26. Said Pharaoh: "Leave me to slay Moses; and let him call on his Lord! What I fear is lest he should change your religion, or lest he should cause mischief to appear in the land!"
27. Moses said: "I have indeed called upon my Lord and your Lord (for protection) from every arrogant one who believes not in the Day of Account!"
28. A believer, a man from among the people of Pharaoh, who had concealed his faith, said: "Will ye slay a man because he says, 'My Lord is Allah.?- when he has indeed come to you with Clear (Signs) from your Lord? and if he be a liar, on him is (the sin of) his lie: but, if he is telling the Truth, then will fall on you something of the (calamity) of which he warns you: Truly Allah guides not one who transgresses and lies!
29. "O my People! Yours is the dominion this day: Ye have the upper hand in the land: but who will help us from the Punishment of Allah, should it befall us?" Pharaoh said: "I but point out to you that which I see (myself); Nor do I guide you but to the Path of Right!"
30. Then said the man who believed: "O my people! Truly I do fear for you something like the Day (of disaster) of the Confederates (in sin)!-
31. "Something like the fate of the People of Noah, the 'Ad, and the Thamud, and those who came after them: but Allah never wishes injustice to his Servants.
32. "And O my people! I fear for you a Day when there will be Mutual calling (and wailing),-
33. "A Day when ye shall turn your backs and flee: No defender shall ye have from Allah. Any whom Allah leaves to stray, there is none to guide...
34. "And to you there came Joseph in times gone by, with Clear Signs, but ye ceased not to doubt of the (Mission) for which he had come: At length, when he died, ye said: 'No apostle will Allah send after him.' thus doth Allah leave to stray such as transgress and live in doubt,-
35. "(Such) as dispute about the Signs of Allah, without any authority that hath reached them, grievous and odious (is such conduct) in the sight of Allah and of the Believers. Thus doth Allah, seal up every heart - of arrogant and obstinate Transgressors."
36. Pharaoh said: "O Haman! Build me a lofty palace, that I may attain the ways and means-
37. "The ways and means of (reaching) the heavens, and that I may mount up to the Allah of Moses: But as far as I am concerned, I think (Moses) is a liar!" Thus was made alluring, in Pharaoh's eyes, the evil of his deeds, and he was hindered from the Path; and the plot of Pharaoh led to nothing but perdition (for him).
38. The man who believed said further: "O my people! Follow me: I will lead you to the Path of Right.
39. "O my people! This life of the present is nothing but (temporary) convenience: It is the Hereafter that is the Home that will last.
40. "He that works evil will not be requited but by the like thereof: and he that works a righteous deed - whether man or woman - and is a Believer- such will enter the Garden (of Bliss): Therein will they have abundance without measure.
41. "And O my people! How (strange) it is for me to call you to Salvation while ye call me to the Fire!
42. "Ye do call upon me to blaspheme against Allah, and to join with Him partners of whom I have no knowledge; and I call you to the Exalted in Power, Who forgives again and again!"
43. "Without doubt ye do call me to one who is not fit to be called to, whether in this world, or in the Hereafter; our return will be to Allah. and the Transgressors will be Companions of the Fire!
44. "Soon will ye remember what I say to you (now), My (own) affair I commit to Allah. for Allah (ever) watches over His Servants."
45. Then Allah saved him from (every) ill that they plotted (against him), but the burnt of the Penalty encompassed on all sides the People of Pharaoh.
46. In front of the Fire will they be brought, morning and evening: And (the sentence will be) on the Day that Judgment will be established: "Cast ye the People of Pharaoh into the severest Penalty!"
47. Behold, they will dispute with each other in the Fire! The weak ones (who followed) will say to those who had been arrogant, "We but followed you: Can ye then take (on yourselves) from us some share of the Fire?
48. Those who had been arrogant will say: "We are all in this (Fire)! Truly, Allah has judged between (his) Servants!"
49. Those in the Fire will say to the Keepers of Hell: "Pray to your Lord to lighten us the Penalty for a day (at least)!"
50. They will say: "Did there not come to you your apostles with Clear Signs?" They will say, "Yes". They will reply, "Then pray (as ye like)! But the prayer of those without Faith is nothing but (futile wandering) in (mazes of) error!"
51. We will, without doubt, help our apostles and those who believe, (both) in this world's life and on the Day when the Witnesses will stand forth,-
52. The Day when no profit will it be to Wrong-doers to present their excuses, but they will (only) have the Curse and the Home of Misery.
53. We did aforetime give Moses the (Book of) Guidance, and We gave the book in inheritance to the Children of Israel,-
54. A Guide and a Message to men of Understanding.
55. Patiently, then, persevere: for the Promise of Allah is true: and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and celebrate the Praises of thy Lord in the evening and in the morning.
56. Those who dispute about the signs of Allah without any authority bestowed on them,- there is nothing in their breasts but (the quest of) greatness, which they shall never attain to: seek refuge, then, in Allah. It is He Who hears and sees (all things).
57. Assuredly the creation of the heavens and the earth is a greater (matter) than the creation of men: Yet most men understand not.
58. Not equal are the blind and those who (clearly) see: Nor are (equal) those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and those who do evil. Little do ye learn by admonition!
59. The Hour will certainly come: Therein is no doubt: Yet most men believe not.
60. And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your (Prayer): but those who are too arrogant to serve Me will surely find themselves in Hell - in humiliation!"
61. It is Allah Who has made the Night for you, that ye may rest therein, and the days as that which helps (you) to see. Verily Allah is full of Grace and Bounty to men: yet most men give no thanks.
62. Such is Allah, your Lord, the Creator of all things, there is no god but He: Then how ye are deluded away from the Truth!
63. Thus are deluded those who are wont to reject the Signs of Allah.
64. It is Allah Who has made for you the earth as a resting place, and the sky as a canopy, and has given you shape- and made your shapes beautiful,- and has provided for you Sustenance, of things pure and good;- such is Allah your Lord. So Glory to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!
65. He is the Living (One): There is no god but He: Call upon Him, giving Him sincere devotion. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds!
66. Say: "I have been forbidden to invoke those whom ye invoke besides Allah,- seeing that the Clear Sings have come to me from my Lord; and I have been commanded to bow (in Islam) to the Lord of the Worlds."
67. It is He Who has created you from dust then from a sperm-drop, then from a leech-like clot; then does he get you out (into the light) as a child: then lets you (grow and) reach your age of full strength; then lets you become old,- though of you there are some who die before;- and lets you reach a Term appointed; in order that ye may learn wisdom.
68. It is He Who gives Life and Death; and when He decides upon an affair, He says to it, "Be", and it is.
69. Seest thou not those that dispute concerning the Sings of Allah. How are they turned away (from Reality)?-
70. Those who reject the Book and the (revelations) with which We sent our apostles: but soon shall they know,-
71. When the yokes (shall be) round their necks, and the chains; they shall be dragged along-
72. In the boiling fetid fluid: then in the Fire shall they be burned;
73. Then shall it be said to them: "Where are the (deities) to which ye gave part- worship-
74. "In derogation of Allah." They will reply: "They have left us in the lurch: Nay, we invoked not, of old, anything (that had real existence)." Thus does Allah leave the Unbelievers to stray.
75. "That was because ye were wont to rejoice on the earth in things other than the Truth, and that ye were wont to be insolent.
76. "Enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) abode of the arrogant!"
77. So persevere in patience; for the Promise of Allah is true: and whether We show thee (in this life) some part of what We promise them,- or We take thy soul (to Our Mercy) (before that),-(in any case) it is to Us that they shall (all) return.
78. We did aforetime send apostles before thee: of them there are some whose story We have related to thee, and some whose story We have not related to thee. It was not (possible) for any apostle to bring a sign except by the leave of Allah. but when the Command of Allah issued, the matter was decided in truth and justice, and there perished, there and then those who stood on Falsehoods.
79. It is Allah Who made cattle for you, that ye may use some for riding and some for food;
80. And there are (other) advantages in them for you (besides); that ye may through them attain to any need (there may be) in your hearts; and on them and on ships ye are carried.
81. And He shows you (always) His Signs: then which of the Signs of Allah will ye deny?
82. Do they not travel through the earth and see what was the End of those before them? They were more numerous than these and superior in strength and in the traces (they have left) in the land: Yet all that they accomplished was of no profit to them.
83. For when their apostles came to them with Clear Signs, they exulted in such knowledge (and skill) as they had; but that very (Wrath) at which they were wont to scoff hemmed them in.
84. But when they saw Our Punishment, they said: "We believe in Allah,- the one Allah - and we reject the partners we used to join with Him."
85. But their professing the Faith when they (actually) saw Our Punishment was not going to profit them. (Such has been) Allah.s Way of dealing with His Servants (from the most ancient times). And even thus did the Rejecters of Allah perish (utterly)!